Lords and Ladies swim teams dominate TPSC Invitational

Lords

The Lords swimming and diving team had a strong showing this past weekend, winning the overall team event at the Total Performance Sports Camp (TPSC) Invitational held at home. Kenyon finished with a team total of 3,124 points and was trailed by Carnegie Mellon (1996.5) and New York University (1877.5), which finished in second and third respectively.

Connor Rumpit ’20 came up big, securing his season best with a time of just 15:34.43 in the 1,650-yard freestyle race. Mick Bartholomew ’20 also had a strong outing in the 200-yard backstroke with a time of 1:46.70, and Grant Thompson ’21 followed close behind and finished in third.

Tommy Weiss ’20 also had an incredible weekend and won the 100 freestyle with a time of 44.73. Weiss was trailed by four of his fellow teammates, including David Fitch ’21, Cole McMahon-Gioeli ’21, Joe Black ’22 and Robert Williams ’19, who secured the top five finishes.

Bartholomew won his second individual victory of the invitational as he came in with a qualifying time of 2:00.25 in the 200-yard breaststroke with Luis Weekes ’22 and Kieran Allsop ’20 following Bartholomew. The margin of victory extended after the 400-yard freestyle relay led by Fitch, Black, McMahon-Gioeli and Weiss. The team noted a time of 2:58.71 and acquired Kenyon’s fifth win of the evening.

The Lords look forward to a relaxed schedule over the next month.The team will travel to Venice, Florida for their annual winter trip on Jan. 3, 2019.

Ladies

After their second-place finish at the Malone Invitational, the Kenyon Ladies swimming and diving team was in complete control as they coasted to victory at the Steen Aquatics Center in Gambier, Ohio. Kenyon hosted the TPSC Invitational over the weekend, a three-day event, and had most of their success on Saturday.

The Ladies achieved five event victories on the day, and the top three  finishers in three of these events were all wearing the purple-and-black. In the 200-yard backstroke, Crile Hart ’21 set a meet record with a time of 1:57.35, passing Ohio State University Buckeye Marianne Kahmann’s record set last year.

Five seconds later, three Kenyon Ladies came to the line right behind her. Delaney Ambrosen ’19, Caitlin Foley ’19 and Kaitlyn Griffith ’21 all finished within a half second of each other. All of the top four finishers qualified for the National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA) Tournament with these times. The 100-yard freestyle proved to be another enormous victory for the hosts. Eight of the first 10 places were Ladies, including the champion Abby Wilson ’19 (50.43). These individual performances yielded a point total of 2,721.5 for the team, over 500 points ahead of the closest competitor, New York University.

“I was most proud of our joy for racing and our resiliency over the weekend,” head coach Jess Book said. “Teams that are resilient and love to race are teams that can be successful in any situation.”

Kenyon will look to continue their success as they head into a key stretch of the season, with a meet in Venice, Florida in less than a month and the North Coast Athletic Conference (NCAC) Championships not too far off on the horizon.