Kenyon swim and dive teams will travel to Florida to face U.S. Coast Guard Academy

Lords

The Kenyon men’s swim team has had a strong fall season thus far, securing three first-place finishes. In their most recent swim meet, the Lords hosted the Total Performance Sports Camp Invitational at the Steen Aquatic Center, where Kenyon placed first with 3,124 points.

David Fitch ’22 put forth a strong performance, winning both the 50-yard freestyle (20.30) and the 100-yard butterfly (47.74). In the process, he broke the 100 butterfly varsity record that has been standing since 2009 by .12 seconds.

“It’s been a great year so far,” Brooks McCoy ’19 said. “We took a couple tough dual-meet losses early but we’ve been putting in hard work all year. I think the tough training this year really showed at our mid-season invite, where we had some fantastic swims that put us right in the thick of the national championship race.”

This winter break, the swim team will be heading now to Venice, Fla. to swim against The United States Coast Guard Academy and Washington University in St. Louis on Jan. 3.

“Down in Florida, we will keep training hard but switch a little bit to focus more on fast swimming and pace rather than building an aerobic base,” McCoy said. “I think we have an extremely talented team this year and are building up to something really special.”

Following their trip down to Florida, they will continue their season with a meet against Ohio Northern University at the Steen Aquatic Center in the Kenyon Athletic Center on Jan. 11. Ladies

The Kenyon College women’s swimming and diving team was nothing short of commanding last weekend, winning the title at the Total Performance Invitational for the second year in a row, and the third time overall. The Ladies finished with 2,721.5 points, 600 points more than the distant second-place team from New York University.

In the beginning of the season, the Ladies dominated in invitationals and events with multiple teams, but faltered in one-on-one events. Aside from their incredible performance at the Total Performance Invitational, the Ladies placed first in the Kenyon College Relays, and second in the Malone Invitational. However, they were not able to secure victory in point-based matchups against Denison University and Michigan State University.

The Ladies’ next event is against Washington University in St. Louis and the United States Coast Guard Academy, on Jan. 3 in Venice, Fla. While the Ladies are currently the number-one ranked women’s swimming and diving team in Division III, Washington University in St. Louis is ranked seventh. The United States Coast Guard Academy has also competed  well as of late, placing second at their last event, the CT Cup held at Wesleyan University.