Soccer teams go to NCAC playoffs

Lords

On Wednesday, continuing the work of a stellar regular season, the Kenyon College men’s soccer team knocked off Wabash College 1-0 in the North Coast Athletic Conference (NCAC) Tournament semifinal match, thanks to a last-second goal from Bret Lowry ’19 in double overtime.

The game-winning goal capped off what was a wet, slick and rough game that saw both teams get chippy — Kenyon received three yellow cards and Wabash two.

The Lords controlled the match through the first 90 minutes, putting up 15 shots to Wabash’s one, but to no avail. Only in the waning seconds of the second overtime period did Kenyon break through. With 10 seconds left on the clock, Greg McNeer ’19 played a low cross in from the top of the box. John Peñas ’20 flicked the ball on to Lowry, who tucked the ball into the left side of the net to give his team a berth in the NCAC Tournament finals.

On Oct. 27 the Lords hosted their Senior-Day game and beat the Allegheny College Gators to earn their fourth consecutive NCAC title with a final score of 9-0. For the seventh time in NCAC history, the Lords finished their regular season with an undefeated 8-0-1 record.

Lowry, David Anderson ’19 and Gunner Found ’20 gave Kenyon goals in the first half. An own-goal by Allegheny gave the Lords a 4-0 lead at halftime.

In the second half, the Lords earned four more goals from Jack Cohen ’21, Sam Casad ’22, Ollie Kendall ’22 and Collyn Carpenter ’21. An own-goal by the Gators set the final tally at 9-0.

“It was great to end the regular season in the way we did,” Max Taylor ’20 said. “We want to keep this momentum going into the postseason, because it’s important to remember that any of these games could be our last.”

On Nov. 3, the Lords will host the NCAC Tournament final at Mavec Field. The time has yet to be determined.

Ladies

The Kenyon women’s soccer season ended last night in Wooster, Ohio in a heartbreaking 2-1 finish in the NCAC tournament. Kenyon was ahead for the majority of the game after Fallon Raviol ’20 scored in the 36th minute. In the last seven minutes of the game, Wooster cracked the strong Kenyon defense and pushed two goals across in the 84th and 89th minute.

The Ladies Senior Day was a different story with a 5-0 victory over Allegheny College. This solidified the third seed for the NCAC tournament. The Ladies honored their three seniors, Bri Maggard ’19, Maia Emden ’19 and Meredith Rogers ’19, at halftime for their positive contributions to the women’s soccer program over the course of their four years at Kenyon.

“Senior day was really special and it has been a great experience being on the team for the past four years. Bri, Maia and I had a great day,” Rogers said. “I was super excited to score my first goal at home and thought it was a great extra part of my Senior Day.”

Samantha Hayes ’21 began the scoring for the Ladies in the fourth minute of the match, and it only took her 10 more minutes to score her second with a stunning finish to the upper corner. Rogers scored her first of the season just under two minutes into the second half to put the tally at 3-0, a fitting way for her to end her career at Mavec Field. Hayes completed her second hat-trick of the season with her third shot of the game in the 60th minute with an assist coming from Emden. It did not take long for the Ladies to add another name to the scoresheet: Raviol scored the final goal of the match, which made her the leading scorer for the regular season with eight goals. This shutout victory allowed keeper Jillian Countey ’20 to finish the regular season with six clean sheets.