Lords XC places eighth, Ladies impress in third-place finish

Lords

The Kenyon Lords earned an eighth-place finish in the North Coast Athletic Conference (NCAC) Cross Country Championships on Saturday, Oct. 27. at Liberty Park in Powell, Ohio, which played host to This marked an improvement from the previous 13th-place finish at the Inter-Regional Rumble.

In an 8K format, DePauw University was victorious; they scored a remarkable 37 points, far ahead of the rest of the field. Although Kenyon struggled to find depth in the team, they had two outstanding performances from Tommy Johnson ’20 and Kyle Rose ’19. They finished almost simultaneously with their times of 26:33.8 and 26:35.2 putting them in the All-NCAC second team. Johnson and Rose are the first Kenyon runners to be selected to the All-NCAC team since Isak Davis ’20 in 2016.

Next to cross the finish line for Kenyon was Cody Bratzler ’21 with a time of 28:10.01. This earned him 46th place overall. Will Oakley ’20 and Jeremy Baier ’22 rounded out the scoring runners with times of 28:16.6 and 29:09.6.

Coach Duane Gomez does not think that their performance reflected the tremendous growth of the team over the course of the season.

“Tommy Johnson and Kyle Rose ran outstanding races in placing ninth and 10th overall, and it was very exciting to see them place so high,” Gomez said. “For regionals we would like to place among the top 20, being the number five NCAC school.”

As they recover from the conference championships, the team will look ahead to the Twilight 5K Challenge at the College of Wooster on Friday and then the NCAA Regional Championships the following week in Franklin, Ind.

Ladies

For the second consecutive year, the Kenyon women’s cross country team placed third in the NCAC Cross Country Championship, which took place this past weekend.

Andrea Ludwig ’19 delivered the best performance for the Ladies, finishing the 6K course with a time of 23:22.8,  which netted her both a ninth-place overall finish and her first All-NCAC second team honors.

The following three finishes were from Sophie Niekamp ’21 (24:00.4), Grace Moses ’20 (24:08.0) and Emma Becker ’22 (24:13.8), who placed 23rd, 25th and 28th, respectively.

“The girls are ecstatic about the overall performance. Even with a couple of our fastest girls out for a variety of reasons, we still came out third in the conference,” Grace McManus ’22 said. “For the girls who will run in regionals next weekend, it’s time to taper and take it a little easier so no one is too worn out for the biggest race. It’s pretty far away so we are trying to plan groups of people to drive the five hours to Indiana to cheer on the Lords and Ladies. After regionals it’s time to rest for a couple weeks before track starts.”

The Ladies’ upcoming race is the College of Wooster’s Twilight 5K Challenge set to take place on Friday, Nov. 2.