Lords soccer wins NCAC tournament, gets bid into NCAA

Kenyon College hosted the men’s soccer North Coast Athletic Conference (NCAC) tournament this past Saturday. The Lords faced off against the Ohio Wesleyan University (OWU) Battling Bishops, where they left with a commanding 4-0 win. They faced them earlier in the season at Mavec Field where it ended in a 1-1 draw after two periods of extra time, and they wanted to avenge their loss from last year’s NCAC tournament finals where they lost in penalty kicks to OWU by a score of 2-3.

The Lords’ seniors came into this game with high intensity and the intention of making it to the National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA) Division III tournament for the fourth consecutive time. David Anderson ’19 began the scoring by putting the Lords on the board in the 10th minute with the assist coming from Philippe Stengel’s ’20 low cross across the six-yard box. Three minutes following the first goal, Max Taylor ’20 put away his third of the year, making it 2-0 for the Lords. 

The goals continued to pour in for Kenyon with another in the 44th minute from Jack Cohen ’21. The nail in the coffin came in the 59th minute with a goal by Anderson for his team-high 12th goal of the season, and he earned a brace for the game. Kenyon won the game by a score of 4-0 leading them to their third NCAC Championship in four years.

“It was a fantastic result this weekend, and we need to come out with the same fire for the NCAA tournament,” Bret Lowry ’19 said. “We have to keep playing our game. It’ll be important to make sure everyone has the right preparation and mindset for this weekend because it’s win or go home.”

Kenyon (16-1-2) will host Maryville College (14-3-1), on Saturday, Nov. 10 at 11 a.m. at Mavec Field for the first round of NCAA Division III tournament play. If they win on Saturday, they will play the winner of Carnegie Mellon University and Centre College Sunday at 1 p.m.