Ladies volleyball makes it to NCAC semifinal, fall to ranked Wittenberg

Entering the North Coast Athletic Conference (NCAC) Tournament in desperate need of a deep run, the Ladies volleyball team started very strong with a straight-set win over Ohio Wesleyan, 25-23, 25-21, 25-22. It was certainly a closely contested match as the two teams were separated by a combined nine points. Delaney Swanson ’19 led the way with 16 kills, with Mackenzie Bruzzio ’20 adding 11 of her own.

Kenyon struggled early, falling behind OWU 17-12. The ensuing 6-1 run by the Ladies proved to be a key moment in the match, as they took control of the set and didn’t look back. Although the Battling Bishops remained close in the second and third sets, the Ladies rarely relinquished the lead and limited their opponents to a measly .120 hitting percentage.

The Ladies put up a tough fight against the third-ranked team in the nation, Wittenberg University, in their final game of the season, but ultimately fell in four sets. They were prepared from the start, as they took the first set, 25-22. Trailing 22-20, they scored five points in a row with kills from Swanson and Bruzzio.

The team’s success was short-lived. Wittenberg roared back, winning three uncompetitive sets in a row. A .060 hitting percentage and 26 errors were far too much for the Ladies to overcome against a Tiger team that had lost only twice. Coach Kendra Mosher still remained positive after the defeat.

“I am really proud of our team for the grit and determination we played with at the NCAC tournament,” she said. “We were able to take care of business against Ohio Wesleyan in three sets which was an improvement from our five set win over them earlier this year.”

The loss marked the end of an outstanding career for Swanson. She finishes third all time in school history with 1,236 kills and ranks fourth in attack percentage at .198.