Ladies field hockey season ends at Wooster

The Kenyon field hockey season came to a close last night as they fell to Wooster in the North Coast Athletic Conference tournament by a score of 2-1. It was a tight game that tied at 1-1 after Kenyon’s Paulina Mendez ’21 scored a goal just three minutes after Wooster scored. The game went into overtime, where Wooster squeaked one by the Kenyon goalie in the 77th minute.

Before the final game against Wooster, the Ladies had an away game against the Denison University Big Red, who sit at 16-2 on the year and areundefeated in NCAC play. Last time they went against the Big Red, the Ladies lost by a goal in a home game that went to overtime. This time, on the road, was another tough match that saw the Ladies lose 2-0.

Denison was able to take the lead early in the match, with Alyssa Babel scoring just five minutes after play began. Denison’s second goal came via a penalty corner that by Caroline Little put in at the 59th minute. In the loss, the Ladies managed two penalty corners compared to Denison’s nine, and six shots compared to 17 by the Big Red.  It was the first multiple-goal loss that Kenyon had suffered all season.

Despite the loss in their final regular game, the Ladies earned a place in the NCAC tournament. Finishing the year with a record of 9-8 overall and 8-6 in conference play, the Ladies wanted more, but they could turn the disapointment into a chip on their shouler this offseason.