Kenyon swimming takes on Division I team

Ladies

Kenyon women’s swimming and diving team competed against Michigan State University this past Saturday in Lansing, Mich. The Ladies were looking to avenge a heartbreaking defeat against Michigan State last year, in which the Ladies fell 149-151. However, the Ladies would fall again to the Spartans by a score of  109-151. Even though the Ladies were defeated, they managed to secure victories, winning seven events and finished in the top three in 13 events.

In the 200-yard medley, Crile Hart ’21, Makena Markert ’21, Racine Ross ’22 and Abby Wilson ’19 posted a time of 1:44.59, winning them the event. In the 200-meter freestyle, Hannah Orbach-Mandel ’19 won with a time of 1:53.13. Orbach-Mandel would go on to win the 200 backstroke, while Hart would go on to win the 100 freestyle.

Scout Wilkins ’20 came in first place in the 500 freestyle, with a time of 5:13.74. The last Ladies victory came in the 400-yard freestyle relay, in which Hart, Wilson, Orbach-Mandel and Emmerson Mirus ’21 posted a time of 3:28.26.

Throughout the contest, the Ladies compiled various close finishes during the event. Wilkins placed third in the 1,000 yard freestyle, and Wilson was the in the 50-yard freestyle — a race in which she was only 0.02 seconds behind first place.

The Ladies next compete on Nov. 9, where the will travel to Columbus to compete against the Ohio State University at 6 p.m.

Lords

This past Saturday, the Lords competed against the National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA) Division I team Michigan State University in their first dual meet of the season. After coming off a strong performance at the Kenyon College Relays, the Lords fell in a blowout 190 -108.

Michigan State dominated throughout the entire afternoon, but it wasn’t all bad as Kenyon diver Ryder Sammons ’19 placed first in the diving event with an impressive score of 271.79.

The Lords finished second in nine individual events along with the 200 yard medley relay and the 400 yard freestyle relay. The list of individual runner-ups include Robert Williams ’19 in the 200 yard freestyle (1:42.12), Nicholas Tong ’22 in the 100 yard backstroke (51.79), Luis Weekes ’22 (58.92), Jon Zimdars ’19 in the 200 yard butterfly (1:15.76). In addition, Tommy Weiss ’20 (46.99), Mick Bartholomew ’20 in the 200-yard backstroke (1:52.92), Kieran Allsop ’20 in the 200-yard breaststroke (2:09.24), Connor Rumpit ’20 in the 500-yard freestyle (4:41.15), and Grant Thompson ’21 in the 400-yard individual medley (4:06.04) were also able to get runner up positions in this difficult meet.

“We were happy to encounter some great competition from Michigan State. We knew the meet would be challenging, and apart from a fluke situation with one of our relays I think we had a pretty solid meet overall,” Rumpit said.  “One great thing from the meet was Ryder Sammons winning one of the diving events — we’re very excited to see what he is capable of throughout the season.”

Kenyon will look to build on this performance next Friday with another Division I dual meet against Ohio State University.