Denison defeats Kenyon swim team

Lords

The Lords swim and dive team fell in their third meet of the season against Denison University who now have claim to the title of the best NCAA Division III team thus far. Denison defeated Kenyon by a final tally of 188.5 to 109.5 at the Trumbull Aquatics Center in Granville, Ohio.

For the Lords, Ryder Sammons ’19 had an extraordinary showing, winning both the one- and three-meter boards. Sammons finished with an impressive 256.35 in the one-meter and a 259.88 in the three-meter. Nicholas Tong ’22 scored 18 total points in two events. Tong finished first in both the 100 backstroke with a time of 51.66 and the 100 butterfly with a time of 49.98. Kenyon only won one other event: The 200 freestyle relay team of Cole McMahon-Gioeli ’21, Tommy Weiss ’20, Marcus Hong ’21 and Weston Carpenter ’19 posted a time of 1:23.70. 

The Lord’s finished as runner-ups in five events: Robert Williams ’19 in the 200 free with 1:42.82, Weiss in the 100 free with 47.08, Patrick Olmsted ’21 in the 200 breaststroke with 2:10.86, and Connor Rumpit ’20 in the 500 free with 4:40.91.

The Lords look to learn from this performance as they anticipate challenging competition in The Ohio State Invitational this upcoming week.

Ladies

The Kenyon College women’s swim and dive team competed in a tough meet against North Coast Athletic Conference (NCAC) rival, Denison University. Kenyon fought well and earned three event wins, one from Crile Hart ’21 and two from Abby Wilson ’19. However, Denison still came out on top with a final score of 168-132.

Wilson recorded her first ever triumph in the 50-yard free race by finishing with a time of 23.95, which was soon followed by teammate Celina German ’21, who took second with a time of 53.76. Wilson also triumphed in the 100-yard freestyle, ending with a time of 51.75, which cleared her another NCAA “B” cut award.

Two other Ladies earned individual wins. Hannah Orbach-Mandel ’19 earned a time of 1:53:51 in the 200-yard freestyle. Kendall Vanderhoof ’20 swam close behind and clocked in at 1:53.8. Vanderhoof also swam in the 500-yard freestyle and recorded a time of 5:10.47.

High on the diving board, Madeline Carlson ’19 won the three-meter competition with a score of 231.23 and also placed third in the one-meter competition, scoring a 233.85.

“The season has been off to a tough start, but I’m really looking forward to the rest of the season, especially this meet at Ohio State,” Julia Moran ’21 said. “We have a large number of really strong swimmers with a lot of different strengths and I know we’re really going to give it our all for the rest of the year.”

The Ladies will return to the waters next week when they travel to Columbus, Ohio to participate in a three-day Ohio State University Invitational.