St. Louis ITA tournament a success for Lords as Zalenski reaches semis

This past weekend, the Lords tennis team traveled to St. Louis for the Intercollegiate Tennis Association (ITA) Central Region Championships. There were many bright spots for the men from Gambier at Dwight Davis Tennis Center.

The number one overall seed for the tournament was Jacob Zalenski ’20. He advanced to the semifinals, but fell to the eventual champion Ethan Hillis of Washington University in St. Louis in straight sets, 6-1, 6-1. Zalenski lost just three games in his first two rounds and dropped just one set in five match wins. Bryan Yoshino ’21 also made a strong run in the tournament, reaching the quarterfinals after a closely contested three-set match in the round of 16.

Kenyon had success across the board in the consolation bracket. The Lords won both the B and C brackets. Angelo Vidal ’22 prevailed in the B championship in just his second tournament at the collegiate level, while Matias Mauviel ’21 won the C bracket.

Vidal won all six sets in his three matches in the consolation bracket. Mauviel also did not drop a set in his respective bracket as well.

“The Central Region ITA was a very successful tournament for the Lords,” Head Men’s and Women’s Tennis Coach Scott Thielke said. “Two of the Lords reached the final eight players with Bryan Yoshino and Jake Zalenski. He advanced to the final four players. Our work for the off-season will be doubles. We had three teams make the final 32 teams, but no one moved on from there. So there is a lot of work to be done.”

This tournament marked the culmination of the fall season, as Kenyon will not compete again until February 2019.