Lords soccer earns win at Denison, while Ladies soccer ties

Lords

After suffering their first loss of the season to Case Western Reserve University, the Lords soccer team traveled to face North Coast Athletic Conference (NCAC) rival Denison University on Saturday. It was the second game of the Lords’ NCAC slate this year. 

The opening score of the game came just after halftime, with David Kim ’19 passing to an open Brice Koval ’19, who found the back of the net from the top of the box. The team went down a man due to a controversial red card issued to Tomas Munoz Reyes ’22 in the first half. Many Kenyon fans and parents in attendance were vocally upset with the referee’s rash decision. Reyes will also miss the next match due to suspension.

The game remained at 1-0 until the 82nd minute. It was then that Denison’s Adrian Miller was able to catch the Kenyon defense tired and off guard to tie the game. Eight more minutes couldn’t separate the two sides, and the game headed into overtime. 

Just six minutes into the extra time, Aidan Schoellkopf ’22 let loose a shot that the Denison keeper couldn’t control, and tapped in the deflection to score the game-winning goal and his first collegiate score as well.

The team needed to regain momentum after being shut out against Case Western, the Kenyon attack was thirsty for goals, outshooting the Big Red 15-7 while earning six corner kicks to Denison’s zero. 

The match showcased the Lords’ depth. There were constant meaningful contributions from both veterans and underclass players, with a senior opening up the scoring and a first year provided the match-deciding goal. 

The Lords, who boast a record of 8-1-1, will travel to Crawfordsville, Ind. next Saturday to take on Wabash College 9-1-1 at 1 p.m. It will likely be a tight match as both teams have lost just one game apiece this year.            

Ladies

In a hard-fought defensive battle spanning two overtimes, the Kenyon Ladies soccer team drew the Denison University Big Red 0-0 last Saturday in Granville, Ohio. This was the Ladies’ third consecutive game that went into overtime, and their second consecutive 0-0 draw as they tied Wittenberg University the week prior.

Kenyon was able to dominate possession throughout the first half. There were two significant shot attempts, which came off the boots of Gabriella Ziobro ’21 and Samantha Hayes ’21. Goalkeeper Jillian Countey ’20 also made a series of stellar saves, including a diving stop around the 30- minute mark. Countey ended up making far more saves than her counterpart on the other side of the pitch by a difference of 11-5. Momentum shifted in the second half, as Denison outshot Kenyon 11-2, but the Ladies’ resilient defense held strong.

Throughout both overtime periods, the Ladies and the Big Red had multiple shot attempts, yet none of them succeeded in finding the back of the net.

“Even though we tied, the game against Denison was some of the best soccer we have played all season,” Maia Emden ’19 said. “We are finally starting to click all over the field, from forwards all the way back to Jill [Countey] in goal. Saturday was truly a team effort, and even though we didn’t score, we are always happy to get a shutout.”

The draw moved Kenyon to a 4-2-3 record, and 0-0-2 in the conference. Kenyon’s next match is against Thomas More College at Mavec Field on Oct. 6 at 1 p.m.