Lords soccer builds on stellar season, Ladies destroy Hiram

Lords

By Joe Wint

Over the past 10 days, Kenyon men’s soccer continued their season with an outstanding run of games. The Lords extended their win streak to four, putting their overall record at 10-1-1 as they look toward the playoffs with confidence.

On Oct. 6, they began by demolishing the Wabash College team on the road in Crawfordsville, Ind. by a margin of 4-0. Sebastian Gaese ’22 and Sam Carson ’22 led a second-half charge, with a goal and assist apiece. Three days later, the team kept their form after overcoming a slow first half at home against College of Wooster and getting two goals from striker Philippe Stengel ’20.

The Lords’ ensuing game against Hiram was demoralizing for the Terriers. Kenyon finished with 30 shots on the day, while the Terriers mustered just one off-target shot. Drew Parker ’22 got on the scoresheet for the first time in his collegiate career, finishing with four shots as a substitute. The Lords stand at 5-0-1 in NCAC play this season, and they are now ranked 16th in the country. The win also kept Kenyon’s unbeaten conference streak alive.

“I think we have the ability to play for 90 minutes at a high level, which would be too much for most teams,” Head Men’s Soccer Coach Chris Brown said. “When our lads are focused and play with intensity and urgency, we are a handful for any team.”

Yesterday, the Lords took on NCAC-rival Ohio Wesleyan University. It was a closely contested game that ended in a 1-1 draw even after extra time. Stengel once again found the back of the net with his head after a rebound, which put the Lords up 1-0. However, just 15 minutes later, the Battling Bishops were able to score off a free kick to even the game at one. That ended the scoring for the game even though the Lords outshot the Battling Bishops 29-12.

On Saturday, the Lords will travel to Greencastle, Ind. to take on DePauw University at noon.

Ladies

By Jordy Fee-Platt

The Ladies soccer team had a rough beginning to the week after falling to Thomas More College and The College of Wooster in close games, but ended on a positive note against Hiram College after a 4-1 win.

Fallon Raviol ’20 stood out for the Ladies, earning a hat trick in the second half of the game against the Terriers. The Ladies ended the season high in both single-game goals scored (four) and shots (28).

The game was extremely tight in the first half. With only seven minutes remaining, Hiram forward Hannah Ward took a shot near the right side of the 18. The ball deflected off the Ladies’ keeper Jillian Countey ’20, giving Hiram a 1-0 lead going into the second half.

“In the first half, we struggled with connecting with one another and finding a rhythm,” Raviol said. “We knew the first five minutes of the second half would set the tone for the rest of the game, so we changed our mentality and came out harder and stronger than we had in the first half”.

The change in mentality was clearly effective: Fewer than three minutes into the second half, Kenyon found the back of the net. Caroline McNeer ’21 played in a corner from the left side that went untouched through the box and found Raviol who volleyed the ball, lofting it across the cluttered box and into the upper left side of the net, tying the game at one apiece.

Seventeen minutes later Samantha Hayes ’21 crossed the ball in from the left side and again found Raviol, who hit a one-time finish right past the diving Hiram keeper.

The Ladies continued their momentum as Raviol secured a hat-trick in the 81st minute, only the 11th in the Ladies’ history.

In the 86th minute, Maddie Ladd ’21 scored her first career goal,  concluding the game in a 4-1 blowout.

The Ladies will look to build on this performance with a tough upcoming games against Depauw University on Oct. 20 in Greencastle, Ind.