Lords and Ladies swim teams dominate weekend relay races

David Fitch ’21 was awarded the NCAC Swimming and Diving Athlete of the Week after dominant showing at Kenyon College Relays. | COURTESY OF KENYON ATHLETICS

Lords

This past Saturday, Oct. 20, Kenyon hosted the annual Kenyon College Relays at the James A. Steen Aquatic Center. The Lords finished in first place, competing with six other schools, including the College of Wooster, Ohio Wesleyan University (OWU), Ohio Northern University (ONU), Oberlin College, Trinity University and Wittenberg University.

The Lords won all nine swim events and finished second to Trinity in the one- and three-meter diving events. In addition, they finished with a total of 132 team points, winning by a wide margin. ONU was the runner-up with 88 total team points, and was followed by Wooster (66) in third and OWU (52) in fourth.

A total of 19 Kenyon swimmers achieved wins in the men’s relay. David Fitch ’21 ended with five first-place finishes on the day. He started off strong in the second event winning the men’s 200-yard medley relay along with Ben Baturka ’20, Michael Bartholomew ’20 and Marcus Hong ’21 (1:32.62). Fitch also won the men’s 200 butterfly relay (1:31.73), 400 IM relay (3:32.50), men’s 200 freestyle relay (1:24.97), and mixed 200 medley relay (1:38.82).

“We performed really well this meet,” said Drew Grier ’22. “This year the team has been talking about being more competitive during dual meets and in-season meets. We want to be able to go out there against D-I teams and show them who we are. I think we’re pretty well off this year. We have a strong freshman class this year to help bolster the ranks and we have a good number of NCAA qualifiers back from last year.”

The Lords look forward to their next meet on Nov. 3 as they travel to compete against Michigan State University in a dual meet.

Ladies

After securing a second-place finish in last year’s NCAA Division-III Championship, expectations are set high for the Kenyon women’s swimming and diving team this season. The Ladies competed this weekend in the annual Kenyon College Relays, held at the Steen Aquatic Center. The Ladies have finished first in this event for the past two years, and were looking to push their streak to  its three years. The Ladies won in a decisive fashion, securing a first- or second-place finish in every event. In the 200-yard relay, Crile Hart ’21, Racine Ross ’22, Makena Markert ’21 and Abby Wilson ’19 notched a time of 1:45:53. In the 200-yard backstroke, the grouping of Hart, Wilson, Caitlin Foley ’19 and Celina German ’21 recorded a winning time of 1:46:29.

In the 200-yard breaststroke relay, Hart, Markert, Andrea Perttula ’22, and Ana Dunn ’22 won in 2:03:40. The fourth win, in the 500 crescendo relay, by Wilson, German, Delaney Ambrosen ’19 and Kendall Vanderhoof ’20, recorded a time of 4:39:20.

The last three victories came in the 200 butterfly (which was won in 1:45:14), the 3×500 (15:57:72), and in the 400 yard IM relay, where Perttula, Wilson, Foley and Markert placed a winning time of 4:04:78.

In diving, Madeline Carlson ’19 took second place in both the one-meter and three-meter boards events.

The Ladies’ next event is a dual meet on Nov. 3 at Michigan State University in Lansing, Mich.