Ladies finish in top 10 in 6K, Lords finish 12th in their 8K

Ladies

This weekend the Kenyon women’s cross country team competed in the All-Ohio Cross Country Championships at the University of Akron in Akron, Ohio. The Ladies joined 36 teams and over 300 runners from across Ohio for the 6k race at Silver Creek Metro Park where they finished in sixth place with a total of 192 team points.

Otterbein University’s team showed its strength and depth, winning the meet with six runners finishing in the top 25. Case Western Reserve University’s team finished three minutes later and more than doubled Otterbein’s score of 52 with 118 total team points.

The Ladies edged the seventh-place finisher, John Carroll University, by only 15 points. Kenyon’s runners finished with a total time of 2:00:17, only a minute behind the fifth place team, Ohio Northern University.

For the Ladies, Sophie Niekamp ’21 led the group for the second straight meet with a 15th place finish, scoring a total time of 23:17.2. Andrea Ludwig ’19, claimed 17th in the meet, trailing Niekamp by only 13 seconds.

In overall competition with teams from three divisions, Kenyon ended up 16th with 535 total points. The University of Toledo was the overall winner with only 32 points, finishing with four runners in the top ten. 

Following the Ladies’ strong performance, they moved up to 10th place in the Great Lakes Region, a ranking list which includes schools from Ohio, Michigan, Indiana and Pennsylvania.

“Although we lost the majority of our top five from last year, new people have really been stepping up to the plate,” Caroline Daughtery ’19 said. “We have a really tight pack for our 4-7th runners, which is awesome.”

The Ladies will look forward to the Oberlin College Regional Rumble on Oct. 13 in Oberlin, Ohio to prepare themselves for the NCAC Championships later this month.

Lords

The Lords’ cross country team also traveled to Akron University. However, this time it was for the annual 8k All-Ohio Cross Country Championships where the Lords finished in 12th place among 18 schools in the National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA) Division-III competition.

With a total score of 299 points, Kenyon defeated Ohio Wesleyan University by a margin of only two points. Otterbein came in first in the meet with a total score of just 37 points. Otterbein’s top five runners all finished within the top 10 and  were collectively two minutes ahead of Case Western, who were second.

For the Lords, Tommy Johnson ’20 led the team with a 20th place finish and a time of 25:38. Kyle Rose ’19 was Kenyon’s next runner to complete the course, and ended the race at 39th overall with a total time of 26:16.3. Will Oakley ’20 was the Lords’ third best runner, coming in at 76th with a time of 27:31.1.

“The team has been solid all year, and Saturday was another strong outing, with a lot of guys dropping their PRs,” said Oakley. “Our top two guys, Tommy Johnson and Kyle Rose have been looking really good, so it’s a matter of reducing the spread between them and the next five guys.”

On Oct. 13, the Lords will race at the Oberlin College Regional Rumble in Oberlin, Ohio, and continue to prepare for the NCAC and NCAA Championships coming up later this month.

“The next meet we just have to run faster-it’s running, it’s not that complicated. For the NCAC we got to keep beating the teams we’ve been beating, like Oberlin and Ohio Wesleyan, and see if we can catch up to a team like Denison that barely edged us out at All-Ohio,” Oakley said.