Golf finishes 12th after mid-week tournament

Earlier this week the Kenyon men’s golf team traveled to the Columbus Country Club in Columbus, Ohio, for the 28th Gordin Collegiate Classic hosted by Ohio Wesleyan University.  After the three-round tournament, the Lords finished 45 strokes over par with a combined stroke total of 909, which placed them in 12th for the tournament. 

Captain Robert Williams ’19 finished in a team-high T-39th place after shooting 10 over par. Andrew Kotler ’21 placed just one stroke behind his teammate Williams, who ended at T-41st. Kolter also had a solid second-round performance after shooting an even par.

The Lords began the tournament by shooting a 310, but as the tournament progressed, each round proved to be easier than the last.  The next two rounds were 300 and 299 strokes, respectively. 

Kenyon started the season ranked in the top 25 of the National Collegiate Athletic Association’s Division III Men’s Golf Coaches Poll, which means the competition at each tournament will include some of the best D-III golf teams from around the country.  The Gordin Collegiate Classic included the top seven men’s collegiate golf teams as well as four other teams ranked within the 25. 

Grant Wallace, head golf coach and director of club sports and intramurals, traveled to St. Louis to see the team play for the first time since his paternal leave. He and his wife welcomed a baby girl earlier this school year. 

Entering this tournament, the Lords went with a different mindset hoping it would bring the desired results, and encourage the team to have more fun on the golf course.

“Our goal this week was to be more competitive and just enjoy the tournament more than we did last week, and I think we did that,” Williams said. “We did not want to let the situation be bigger than us as we earned our place in the elite field. It was not our best performance score-wise, but we held our own against the top teams in the country, bouncing back after a poor first round.”

The men’s golf team has one more tournament left for the fall season. They will travel to the Laurel Valley Golf Club located in Pittsburgh for Carnegie Mellon University’s Tartan Invitational, which begins on Oct. 8 with the Lords looking to end on a high note.