Section: Field Hockey

Field hockey handles the Bishops but falls to the Tigers over the weekend

Hannah Sklar ’20 dribbles past opponent in the Ladies’ 2-0 win over Ohio Wesleyan University this past weekend. | FRANCIS BYRNE

This past weekend, the Kenyon field hockey team held home contests against two North Coast Athletic Conference (NCAC) opponents. Saturday’s game featured the Ladies facing off against Ohio Wesleyan University (OWU) in a matchup that saw the Ladies come out on top 2-0 in a dominant offensive performance.

Right out of the gate Kenyon dictated the tempo of the game, making sure to never give OWU time to settle in defensively. The first goal came just a little over three minutes into the game: Gigi Guenther ’21 scored from inside the circle to put the Ladies on the board, 1-0. The next goal came five minutes later when Hannah Paterakis ’19 assisted Molly Keen ’21 for the team’s second goal of the first half.

By the end of the half, Kenyon had outshot OWU 6-1. The second half saw OWU lock down Kenyon’s offense for a bit. However, with just 10 minutes left in the second half, Olivia O’Connell ’21 scored, bringing Kenyon’s lead to 3-0. On Kenyon’s defensive end, Susannah Deems ’22 recorded her fifth shutout of the season.

The Ladies didn’t have a lot of time to celebrate their victory, as they were back at McBride Field the next morning for Senior Day against the Wittenberg University Tigers. Prior to the game, the team acknowledged their two seniors, Paterakis and Abbey Roswell ’19, who have both helped the team amass 56 wins over the last three-and-a-half seasons. It was a bittersweet day for the team as they lost the contest 0-1, in Wittenberg’s first regular season win over Kenyon since 2011.

Wittenberg’s winning goal came off a penalty corner in the 32nd minute of the game. This marked the first goal Deems has let up in over 310 minutes of gametime. The Ladies worked hard to tie the game with a flurry of shots in the second half. The team outshot Wittenberg 16-6, as well as earning seven corners compared to Wittenberg’s four, but to no avail.

“We fought hard this weekend. We knew what we wanted and fought till the end,” Roswell said. “The scoreboard on Sunday doesn’t represent the effort and heart we had that game. Now is the time that matters. We are fighting to keep our season going.”

The loss ended Kenyon’s four-game win streak and brought the Ladies’ record to 9-6 overall and 8-4 in NCAC play. Today, the team will look to knock off visiting Wooster to regain sole possession of second place in the NCAC. Wooster enters the game with a record of 12-5 overall and 8-4 in the NCAC. That match is set to begin at McBride Field at 4:30 p.m.