Section: Field Hockey

Despite the strong defensive effort, Ladies fall in their visit to Wooster

The Kenyon field hockey team traveled to Wooster, Ohio this past weekend for a North Coast Athletic Conference (NCAC) matchup against the College of Wooster where they fell in a shootout 3-2. The Ladies then faced off against Denison University yesterday and lost in OT, 1-0.

The Ladies scored the first goal of the game just a little over 10 minutes into the first half, when Tara Shetty ’21 blew by her defender to put the team on the board. However, this lead did not last very long as less than a minute later, Wooster scored and tied the contest at 1-1.

The scoring continued almost immediately afterwards when Sarah Metzmaier ’22 scored, taking the lead back for the Ladies. With this goal, Metzmaier now leads the team with seven goals for the season.

Nevertheless, the Ladies’ lead would not last. 10 minutes later, Wooster scored to bring the game back even at 2-2. After this goal, both teams showed a tremendous effort on the defensive end, with neither goalie letting in a shot in the second half; Kenyon goalie Suzy Deems ’22 posted seven saves in the contest.

This display of tough defense forced the game into not one but two overtimes. Both Kenyon and Wooster took four shots each in the two periods. After both teams were unable to score in overtime, it went into a shootout. Wooster was able to stop the Ladies’ first three shots, while the Ladies were only able to stop one, leading to a 3-2 Wooster victory.

“Wooster was tough,” Hannah Paterakis ’19 said.  “We did a better job playing collectively as a team, but clearly still have room for improvement. We are eager to play Denison, knowing that they are coming at us with a target on our backs.”

The team had another rough result yesterday against Denison where Kenyon lost 1-0 in overtime. After playing 7:27 minutes into overtime, Denison sophomore Michelle Kabaira dribbled past the Kenyon defense from the right side then cut in and took a backhanded shot that went in.

The Ladies’ next match is against NCAC rival Oberlin College, at McBride Field on Oct. 6 at 12 p.m.