Merkle breaks another passing record in loss to the Yeomen

The Lords football team kicked off their North Coast Athletic Conference (NCAC) schedule on Saturday, Sept. 8 at McBride Field against the Yeomen from Oberlin College. The team played tough on both sides of the ball and were only down by three points heading into the fourth quarter. However, Oberlin scored 15 points in the final quarter, while the Lords would only score a touchdown resulting in a final score of 35-24 in favor of the Yeomen.

Lords quarterback Thomas Merkle ’20 went 39-69 for 392 yards, breaking the Kenyon record for most passes attempted, which was 68 set by Tony Miga ’01 back in 2001. Notably, receiver Ian Robertson ’19 caught 15 passes for 194 yards, which tied for the fifth-best single-game performance in Lords history. On the defensive side, linebackers Sam Dickey ’20 and Tom Zaleski ’21 led the Lords with 15 tackles apiece.

The Lords returned to McBride Field the following weekend for Homecoming, where they would face another NCAC opponent, Wabash College. The Lords found themselves down 40-0 late in the third quarter. However, starting from their own 25-yard line, Kenyon put together a 14-play drive that resulted in the team’s first touchdown of the contest. On the drive, Merkle went 8-of-12, eventually finding Bosch in the endzone for the touchdown. 

Kenyon started the fourth quarter with the ball on their own 21-yard line. Merkle looked to the air again to lead an eight-play, 79-yard drive that resulted in a five-yard rushing touchdown from Rob Meagher ’19. 

Wabash would score one last time in the fourth quarter, resulting in a final score of 47-14. Top performers on offensive for the Lords included Merkle as well as Robertson once again. Zach Filips ’20, along with Robertson, were Merkle’s top targets in the game, while Meagher led the team in rushing. On the other side of the ball, Dickey picked up a team-high nine tackles, while cornerback Josh Jones ’21 posted eight tackles in the contest.

Kenyon now faces a schedule that includes three straight road games. This weekend, the team will travel to Springfield, Ohio where they will face another NCAC opponent, the No. 17-ranked Wittenberg University Tigers.