Men’s soccer starts NCAC play strong, falters at Case Western

The Kenyon Men’s soccer team began North Atlantic Athletic Conference (NCAC) play this past weekend by traveling to Wittenberg College. The Lords are having a strong start to the season, with six wins and one draw going into the contest against the Tigers. They had a slow start to the match, but after 16 minutes of play, David Kim ’19 scored for the Lords to give them the first lead of the match. This continued with another goal exactly four minutes later by David Anderson ’19, assisted by Kim. The scoring did not stop there, with Kenyon rattling off two more goals by Scott Upton ’22 and another goal by Anderson for his team-high sixth of the season. Wittenberg finally got on the scoreboard with a goal in the 82nd minute of play. Kenyon responded with a late goal in the 89th minute by Tomas Muñoz Reyes ’22, making the final score 5-1 in favor of the Lords. 

“It’s always great to start off conference play with a win,” said  Bret Lowry ’19. “Our attacking has been excellent and we’ll look to keep bagging goals, but we can also look to improve on our defending and focus on keeping clean sheets.”

However, the second game  against Case Western Reserve University didn’t go as the Lords planned. They lost 3-0 to the Spartans. This was Kenyon’s first loss of the year, and given that the Spartans were unranked, the Lords will likely take a plunge in the national polls from their current position of seventh, according to the United Soccer Coaches Poll.

The Kenyon men’s soccer team will continue their conference play at Denison to take on the Big Red on Saturday, Sept. 29 at noon.