Lords tennis to pursue fifth NCAA appearance in six years

The Lords tennis team is back in action after the Kenyon College Invitational this last weekend. The most impressive feat of the weekend came in flight B as the Lords were able to win the group.

The team quickly Last season they finished with an overall record of 20-5 and went 3-0 in the North Coast Athletic Conference (NCAC). Kenyon ultimately won the NCAC, and went on to compete in the National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA) tournament. The team has many returning upperclass students such as Nicholas Paolucci ’19, Jacob Zalenski ’20 and Austin Diehl ’20, who are all poised to be the anchors for a team looking to return to the NCAA tournament for the fifth time since 2013.

The first win of the season for the Lords was against The College of Wooster. Anatol Doroskevic ’19 and Pascal Lee ’22 teamed up to take down the duo from Wooster in a dominant performance, which gave them a boost for the upcoming matches.

The same pair went on for their second win against a Carnegie Mellon  University duo and came out on top with a score of 8-5. In the last game, Denison gave the Lords pair a run for their money, but Doroskevic and Lee were able to triumph and win with a final score of 8-7.

There were also wins in the others flights, such as the C flight final score of 8-4 from Darius Loghman-Adham ’19 and teammate Angelo Vidal ’22 and another win in the E flight by Matias Mauviel ’22 and Henry Wessel ’22 (8-1).

The most important aspect showcased by the Lords was their depth. Lee, Vidal, Mauviel and Wessel all came in and performed well in their first matches as Kenyon Lords. The youth will have to play an important role if Kenyon is going to make the NCAA tournament again, but the team seems optimistic.

“Last weekend was a great opportunity to see where we are at after losing seven seniors,” Loghman-Adham said. “We are happy with the results and are excited to see all of the potential throughout this season.”

The next big tournament for the men’s team will be the Intercollegiate Tennis Association Central Region Championship on Sept. 28-30 in St. Louis, Mo.

The Lords may have the weekend off, but the women’s tennis team will begin their play this weekend in the Kenyon Invitational for a Homecoming Special. The invitational will last all day, both Saturday, Sept. 15 and Sept. 16. The Ladies finished last season as NCAC champions after compiling 21-3 overall record and going 3-0 in conference play. They also will be looking to play their way back into the NCAA tournament for the fourth straight season.