Lords soccer dominates, ranked No. 8

Lords soccer dominates, ranked No. 8

This past weekend the Lords traveled to Wilmington College for their first match in the Kiawanis Classic against the host Quakers. First half action under the lights in Wilmington proved fairly even, with the Lords establishing a one-goal lead just three minutes before halftime, thanks to a first-time volley from Tomás Muñoz Reyes ’22.

Second-half surges have been a trend for the Lords so far this season, and Friday night was no different. It didn’t take long for the Lords’ offense to get rolling in the second half. Just a minute and a half into the action, John Peñas ’20 passed to an open Philippe Stengel ’20, who would find the back of the net for the Lords’ second goal. Gunner Found ’20, Sebastian Gaese ’22 and David Anderson ’19 would also score a goal apiece as the Lords thrashed Wilmington by a score of 5-0.

The following day, the Kenyon XI faced off against the Adrian College Bulldogs to finish out the Kiwanis Classic. The Bulldogs’ side fell victim to another offensive outpouring from the Lords. This time around, the Lords wasted no time in setting the tone. Anderson continued his hot streak, beating the keeper just seven minutes into the game and putting the Lords up 1-0. Three more first-half goals by defender Bret Lowry ’19, midfielder Peñas and forward Scott Upton ’22 sealed the victory for the Lords, who finished the Classic with an aggregate score of 9-0 over the opposition.

The Lords continued their show of dominance yesterday in the 5-0 defeat of the Marietta College Pioneers. Goals were bountiful as Anderson and Stengel each knocked in their third of the season. Meanwhile, Will Bennett ’19, Eric Albrecht ’20 and Sebastian Gaese ’22 were able to get on the scoring sheet to bring the Lords to their third straight win. The game was chippy and physical with Gaese, a German national, commenting, “The physicality [in American soccer] is very different, but in Europe, or Germany, the technical ability is a bit better. But it is also good here.”