Lords keep incredible form

Lords keep incredible form

The Kenyon men’s soccer team continued its 2018 campaign on the road at Thomas More College in Crestview Hills, Ky. on Sept. 15. The Lords entered the competition as the eighth best-rated Division III team in the country determined by United Soccer Coaches — a significant leap from their previous No. 22 ranking. The bread-and-butter for the Lords’ success so far this year has been their ability to score with ease proven by the 14 combined goals scored in their previous three matches.

The Thomas More Saints proved to be much tougher than the Lords’ previous three opponents. In the 29th minute of the match, Will Bennett ’19 netted his third goal of the season to give the Lords a one-goal advantage. The Kenyon lead remained at one until the 55th minute, when David Anderson ’19 scored a header goal, adding another point for Kenyon.

In the 84th minute, Thomas More cut their deficit in half with a goal by Ethan Smith. However, the Saints attackers were unable to find room for more attempted shots in the final six minutes of the match. The final score stood at 2-1 for a fourth consecutive Lords victory.

On Sept. 18, the Lords earned another shutout, this time against Centre College. The first half was uneventful as the score was 0-0 at the half.  However, the second half showcased Kenyon’s high-powered offense as four different Lords got on the score sheet. Brice Koval ’19 netted his third goal of the year, while Sam Hosmer-Quint ’21 and Sam Carson ’22 each scored their first goal of the year. Finally, Tomas Munoz Reyes ’22 finished off the 4-0 rout of Centre with his second goal of the season.

“It’s come down to keeping the players on the field fresh,” Bennett said. “I think we do a good job of rotating players a lot, especially up top, and making sure that everyone out there is always hustling.”

Next up for the Kenyon men are two away games: the first against Wittenberg University on Sept. 21 at 7:30 p.m. and the second against Case Western Reserve University on Sept. 26 at 7:30 pm.