Section: Football

Lords football goes into bye week focused on beating OWU

The Kenyon Lords’ football team suffered another tough loss this weekend, falling to nationally ranked No. 17 Wittenberg University 3-45. The game occurred the night of Saturday, Sept. 22, under the lights at Wittenberg’s storied Edwards-Maurer Field.

The game coincided with the Tigers Champions Night, an annual event held for all past North Coast Athletic Conference (NCAC) champions.

The game proved to be a challenge for the Lords, who entered the game with an overall record of 0-3. The Tigers, with a record of 2-0 this season, continued to build off their dominance after going undefeated in the regular season last year. The Tigers are expected to make a decent run in the National Collegiate Athletic Association tournament this year. 

The Lords’s offense, which has been a bright spot this year and average 290 yards in the air per game, was held to 172 yards. Unfortunately, the Lords’ ground game was held to just 68 yards. On the contrary, the Wittenberg Tigers amassed a total of 543 yards overall, 207 through the air and 336 yards on the ground. 

Given the Lords’ strength on offense, they beat the Tigers in time of possession by over 10 minutes, and claimed a higher conversion percentage on third downs (47.1%). The Lords only committed four penalties for 35 yards, compared to the Tigers’ 10 penalties for 125 yards; this discipline should help the Lords in further contests. 

Wide receiver Ian Robertson ’19 led the Lords with eight catches for 82 yards, increasing his totals for the year to 39 catches for an overall of 412 yards. On defense, Sam Dickey ’20 led the team with 13 tackles and one sack for a loss of two yards, bringing his current season total to 49 tackles. 

The Lords go into their bye week hoping to turn things around against their upcoming opponent, Ohio Wesleyan University (OWU, on Oct. 6. The game will be held at Shelby Stadium in Delaware, Ohio at 2 p.m.

The Lords are expected to have a fighting chance against the Bishops, who are currently 1-1 leading up to their game against the Depauw University Tigers this coming Saturday. The extra week off should give the Lords time to prepare and recover in time to faceoff against the OWU Bishops.