Hot and cold start for Ladies soccer, players are optimistic

The Kenyon Ladies start off the new season after finishing the 2017 campaign with an overall record of 9-7-3 and a 7-0-1 record in the North Coast Athletic Conference (NCAC). The team is returning three seniors: Brianna Maggard ’19, Maia Emden ’19 and Meredith Rogers ’19. Maggard and Emden impressed last year as Maggard was awarded 2nd team All-NCAC honors while Emden received an Honorable Mention for the All-NCAC team. The Ladies will also benefit from another year of experience for reigning NCAC Defensive Player of the Year Caroline McNeer ’21 and first-team All-NCAC goalkeeper Jillian Countey ’20.

This past Friday, the Kenyon College Women’s Soccer team had their first game of the new season against Case Western Reserve University at Mavec Field. The Ladies came out on top with a 2-1 win. Kenyon’s two and only goals were scored by Samantha Hayes ’21, the first goal touching the net only 22 minutes after the game had started. Given her performance, Hayes would go on to win NCAC Player of the Week honors. Even though Case Western out-shot Kenyon, Countey helped out her teammates by saving six of their shots on target.  After the game, Annie Hesse ’20 said, “We are happy with how the game was played and excited to see how the girls will play on Tuesday in their next game.” Hesse was sidelined due to an injury, but is looking to get back on the pitch soon.

The Ladies played their second game on Sept. 5 at home against Adrian College. Unlike their previous game, the Ladies were unable to continue on their winning path as they fell by a score of 4-1. The backline did not provide the usual support for keeper Countey, as the Ladies allowed 23 shots during the game with nine of them on target, while the Ladies were able to produce three shots with two on target. Despite their loss, Ladies’ Fallon Raviol ’20 tallied her first goal of the new year. “Scoring a goal is always a wonderful feeling, even if the game still ends up in a loss, but I’m really looking forward to the rest of the season,” said Raviol.

The Ladies look to get back on track this Saturday, Sept. 8 at 1 p.m. at Mavec Field against Shenandoah University, who comes to Gambier looking for their first win of the season.