Section: Field Hockey

Field hockey defeats Oberlin with ease

The Kenyon field hockey team had two games this past week after starting 1-1 outside of North Coast Athletic Conference (NCAC) play. Their first conference game of the year came against the Oberlin College Yeowomen, which ended in a huge 5-0 win. Leading the Ladies in points was Sarah Metzmaier ’22, who scored two goals and assisted on another goal to Molly Keen ’21. Captains Hannah Paterakis ’19 and Olivia O’Connell ’21 also contributed one goal apiece to lead Kenyon to victory.

After their blowout win, the Ladies looked to continue their momentum going into Sunday’s game against Washington and Jefferson College. The weather was not optimal, with non-stop rain. It didn’t faze the Ladies, as Metzmaier scored at roughly the 30th minute for the first tally of the game, thanks to an assist by Gigi Guenther ’21. Washington and Jefferson countered the Kenyon attack in the second period and eventually forced overtime after tying the game at one. It was a tight contest all day until Washington and Jefferson scored, with 7:13 left in the second overtime period, to win the game by a score of 2-1.

“Coming away from our past two games, we have lots of room to grow and develop as a team,” Paterakis said. “We have been focusing this week on urgency and finishing on our attack, and I think if we can capitalize on these things, we will come out successful for this big weekend ahead of us.”

This weekend, the Ladies are hosting two games, the first on Saturday at 11 a.m. against DePauw University, and another on Sunday at 12 p.m. against Earlham College for Kenyon’s Homecoming Weekend.

“We need to take Earlham just as seriously as we would with DePauw,” Paterakis said, “and go into the weekend knowing that both of these are skilled teams.”