Away from the KAC: field renovation, travel and a new hire

Resurfaced soccer practice fields will help prevent player injuries for the upcoming seasons | Courtesy of Kenyon Athletics

Kenyon athletics has had a busy summer. Two projects are underway: the construction of the new turf infield for the McClosky Field and two newly resurfaced practice fields for the men’s and women’s soccer teams. In addition, Lords basketball took a trip to Ireland, the football team enrolled a 30-man recruiting class and the cross country teams added new assistant coach, Tim VanDoorn.

At McClosky Field, the Kenyon baseball families gifted a state-of-the-art turf infield that will stay in peak condition regardless of the weather conditions. After a year of rainouts, players are looking forward to competing on a weather-resistant playing surface. “I’m definitely excited, especially after last season when we came back from Florida and had to wait nearly three weeks to play ball again due to weather,” Rawson Scheinberg ’19 said.

Neither the men’s nor women’s soccer team has been able to use their new practice fields, but will be able to use them for the first time Thursday before their first matches on Friday. Players like Max Taylor ’20, Philippe Stengel ’20 and Brice Koval ’19 all agreed that the renovated field will allow the team to practice at their highest levels while helping to prevent injuries. Mavec Field was resurfaced last fall, so it was only a matter of time before the practice fields were renovated as well.

Over the summer Lords basketball traveled to Ireland for an eight-day trip consisting of two exhibition games and, of course, tourism. Their first game was against Killester Basketball Club, the 2017 runner-up in the professional Irish Super League, in Dublin where they fell by only five points. In their second game, they faced off against Moycullen Basketball Club in the coastal city of Galway, where the team lost in overtime against another tough team that competes in the Irish Galway League.

Moving from the court to the field, the Kenyon football team brought in an unprecedented 30-man recruiting class, bringing the roster to a total of 80 players. The team is finishing up preseason as Sept. 1 marks the first game of the season.

Tim VanDoorn will be a new name for Kenyon sports fans. VanDoorn has been appointed the new assistant coach for the Lords and Ladies Cross Country team. He spent time as a volunteer coach at Rockford University in Rockford, Ill, as well as a graduate assistant coach at Elmhurst College in Elmhurst, Ill. He comes to Kenyon with a specialization in throws, and has a proven track record for improving players within the hammer throw, shot put, discus, weight throw and javelin throw.