Softball starts NCAC season with doubleheader split versus Oberlin

The Ladies split the first two games of their North Coast Athletic Conference (NCAC) season in a doubleheader against the Oberlin College Yeowomen on Saturday afternoon. After winning their season opener 6-1, the Ladies were unable to complete the doubleheader, dropping the second game 14-12 in a close game dominated by both lineups.

Keely Sweet ’20 turned in a strong performance from the rubber in the first game, tossing a complete game while striking out five and allowing just the one earned run. Sweet collected her eighth win of the young season while lowering her overall earned run average to 2.73.

In the victory, the Ladies’ lineup turned in a balanced but measured performance. Four different Ladies had two or more hits. Grace Pilz ’19 hit her first home run of the season while right fielder Lauren Graf ’20 knocked in two runs. Perhaps most impressive of all, the Ladies only struck out twice in the game, a low total for a seven-inning game.

While the Ladies kept up their strong offensive performance in the second game of the double header, the pitching did not execute at the same level that they did in game one. After going the full seven innings in game one, Sweet pitched again in game two, allowing four runs while going just one-and-a-third innings while relieving Amanda Coyle ’18, who started the game and pitched just a third of an inning.

Offensively, senior catcher Nicole Horita collected three hits while fellow senior Coyle knocked in three runs. Despite the early struggles of Coyle and Sweet on the mound, the Ladies led 12-9 after five innings. The Yeowomen, however, crossed the plate five times in the last two innings, resulting in the final score of 14-12.

On Saturday, the Ladies will travel to Granville, Ohio to take on Denison University in a doubleheader. Winning both would allow the Ladies to set an early tone in the NCAC standings and put them in a strong starting position for the conference part of their season.