Softball splits series against Hiram

Ladies softball ended its four-game losing streak this past Sunday when it defeated Hiram College 2-0 as part of a doubleheader split against the Terriers. The Terriers entered the doubleheader 1-11 in the North Coast Athletic Conference (NCAC) standings, the worst such mark in the conference.

Despite the victory, the Ladies remain on a downward spiral, as they have lost five of their last six games and have fallen to seventh place in the NCAC standings.

Jace Juliano ’21 delivers a pitch in a 4-3 loss to Hiram College. She threw two-and-one-third innings, and gave up no runs.

Keely Sweet ’20 was dominant from the rubber in the 2-0 victory over the conference rival Terriers, scattering five hits over seven innings. Sweet struck out just three batters but induced soft contact all game, leading to 11 groundouts. The Ladies did not commit any errors behind Sweet ’20.

Kenyon jumped out early in the first inning. Infielder Lauren Graf ’20 lined a single to right field to score Madi Maldonado ’18 for a 1-0 lead. The other Ladies’ run crossed the plate in the top of the fourth, when Kathryn Riggs ’21 scored on a Terrier error.

The rest of the weekend did not go well for the Ladies. Kenyon lost its other game against the Terriers 4-3. While the Ladies were able to put runners in scoring position to potentially tie or take the lead, they were unable to come through in the clutch.

The split against Hiram followed two Kenyon losses against the Ohio Wesleyan University Battling Bishops.

The Ladies will next play this afternoon when they will host the Allegheny College Gators for a doubleheader. The Gators enter the series 8-4 in the NCAC and 16-11 overall.

Their 8-4 conference record places them fourth in the NCAC. The Ladies’ final regular season games will happen Saturday, when they will travel to Greencastle, Ind. to take on the 10-2 Depauw University Tigers.