Softball completes up-and-down week with three victories

The Ladies softball team completed their week with a 3-3 record, coming up with two victories against Capital University (Ohio), a win and a loss against the College of Wooster and two defeats at the hands of Denison University.

On Thursday, the Ladies visited Denison for a doubleheader and lost 7-1 and 12-4. During the series, the Ladies never held a lead and only spent a half-inning tied with the Big Red. The day still had a few bright spots as Grace Finn ’21 put together a 2-4 afternoon with a double and a stolen base and also reached on a hit by pitch.

On Sunday, the Wooster Scots visited the Ladies, losing the first game 5-1 before bouncing back with an 8-3 win later in the afternoon. The first game was a pitchers’ duel, with Keely Sweet ’20 and Wooster’s Kelly Chase both throwing five scoreless frames before each gave up a run in the sixth. Tied 1-1 entering the decisive final frame, the Scots were able to get across four runs and shut down the Ladies’ offense in the bottom of the seventh to claim game one.

Game two started differently for the Ladies’ offense. No longer forced to face Wooster’s Chase, the Ladies put across five runs in the first two innings, with the biggest hit coming from Kathryn Riggs ’21, whose two-run double put the Ladies up by five. The Ladies’ Austen Whibley ’19 helped the team to victory with her first complete game and first victory of the season, only giving up three runs on eight hits while striking out four.

Whibley came back the next day to face the Capital Crusaders in the first game of the Ladies’ third doubleheader of the week. Although Whibley pitched well and battled hard throughout the game, the Ladies found themselves down 4-1 entering the bottom of the seventh inning.

Looking for a rally with one out, the Ladies collected  consecutive singles from Nicole Horita ’18, Amanda Coyle ’18 and Madi Maldonado ’18 to load the bases. Capital’s Brianna Reardon walked Finn to bring home the Ladies second run of the game, bringing the score to 4-2. Then Emily Buckwalter ’21 got an RBI groundout, bringing the Ladies within one for right fielder Lauren Graf ’20 with two outs and runners on second and third. Working the count, Graf found a 2-2 pitch she liked and stroked it into right field for the walk-off Ladies victory.

Although the second game of the doubleheader did not have walk-off dramatics, the game was not void of exciting moments. After losing their 3-1 cushion in the top of the fifth, RBI doubles from both Buckwalter and Juliana Delsante ’20 in the bottom of the inning provided the runs that Sweet needed to seal the game and the doubleheader for her ninth win of the season.

Last week’s performance moves the Ladies to 18-12 but drops them to only 2-4 in the North Coast Athletic Conference (NCAC). With 10 NCAC games left on their schedule, there is still time to make up lost ground, but the Ladies currently find sit at sixth place in the conference, two games out of the pivotal fourth-place spot that would place them in the NCAC tournament in early May.

The Ladies’ next doubleheader is this Saturday at the third-place Wittenberg University Tigers, before they travel to face the eighth-place Hiram College Terriers next Wednesday.