Lords season ends after loss to Big Red in NCAC semifinal

Lords lacrosse bounced back from a tough loss against Denison University last Wednesday by steamrolling Hiram College 20-5 this weekend en route to their ninth win of the season and fifth North Coast Athletic Conference (NCAC) win.

This win puts the Lords in third place and its 5-3 conference record sets them three games behind first-place Ohio Wesleyan University (8-0) and two games behind Denison (7-1).

The pressure was on for the Lords against the Terriers: A win would put Kenyon in sole possession of third place, while a loss could have knocked them out of the tournament entirely.

Ian Gobron ’21 clashes on the faceoff X in the Lords regular season finale victory against Hiram College.

With the season’s success hanging on a strong team performance on Senior Day, the Lords started off quickly when Kyle Johnston ’18 , normally a defender, scored a goal just a minute into the game. This was Johnston’s first goal of his collegiate career, and his first since high school.

“It was one word: electric,” said Johnston.

The electricity continued for the Lords as Jonah Florence ’18, Will Robbins ’21, Joe Woody ’19 and Josh Galardi ’18 added five more goals within the next eight minutes of play. Galardi has also netted 25 goals on the season. Hiram did manage to score one goal with two minutes remaining in the quarter, but the Lords responded with just 19 seconds left on the game clock. Kenyon had an insurmountable 10-1 lead going into the second period.

The Lords kept up the intensity in the second quarter as Woody tallied another goal just under three minutes into the second quarter. Sam Humphrey ’20, Matt Pollack ’21 and Nick Vitale ’19 each added insurance goals for Kenyon. Emilio Sosa ’19 also scored his team-leading 25th goal of the season.

With the win and a playoff berth all but guaranteed by a 15-3 halftime lead, the Lords were able to relax in the second half.

“We just wanted to make sure everyone played, and more importantly everyone played their best,” Rob Guldenschuh ’18 said. “We wanted to fine tune the basics and get ready for the postseason.”

The third quarter featured just four goals, two apiece for both Hiram and Kenyon, while the fourth ended with three more goals on the scoreboard for the Lords.

The Lords not only dominated on the scoreboard, but also within the fundamentals of the game. Kenyon attempted 47 shots with 37 being on target, while only turning the ball over 14 times compared to the 20 times Hiram lost possession. The Lords also completed 12 of 12 clears on defense.

Kenyon dominated the ground ball battle, collecting 36 while Hiram managed just half that. The Lords also won 22 faceoffs while keeping the Terriers in the single digits with just seven faceoff wins.

Late Wednesday night, the Lords faced Denison University and were ousted from the NCAC tournament after a 14 to 6  loss.