Lords lacrosse tops Tigers and Yeomen in tight NCAC contests

This Saturday, the Lords lacrosse team came away with two triumphant 17-13 and 15-10 wins over North Coast Athletic Conference (NCAC) competitors Wittenberg University and Oberlin College. The Lords, with a record of 4-2 in the NCAC, are now ranked fourth in the conference. Only the top four will move on to compete in the NCAC postseason tournament.

“Saturday’s game was definitely a must-win for our postseason goal of an NCAC title,” Jonah Florence ’18 said.

The Lords dominated all aspects of play on Saturday. Of the 33 faceoffs, Kenyon came away with wins in 24. The Lords captured 46 ground balls compared to the Tigers’ 27. They had 53 shots, which dwarfed Wittenberg’s 37 shots, and their shots on goal outnumbered Wittenberg’s at 34 to 21.

Within the first five minutes of play, Florence opened the scoring with a goal, the first of the four total he would score. Wittenberg countered the attack with three goals until Kenyon called a timeout with about four and a half minutes left in the quarter.

Lords responded with a 7-0 run that extended into the second quarter with Nick Vitale ’19 capturing three of those goals in a row. The half finished with both Kenyon and Wittenberg scoring an additional two goals each, leaving the halftime score at 10-5.

The Tigers started off the second half with two quick goals to reduce Kenyon’s lead. Kenyon called a timeout and retaliated with three goals, two by Florence and an additional one from Vitale. In the last nine minutes of the third quarter, the teams each scored two more points to end the quarter at 15-9.

In the final quarter, Wittenberg tacked on an additional four points, but Pierce Kraft ’18 helped the Lords fend off the Tigers with two goals that contributed to his total of four goals for the game. Goalie Nick Connelly ’21 added eight saves to his personal record.

The Lords found similar success against Oberlin. In the first half, Kenyon fired off 26 shots,  converting eight of them into goals. Goals from Will Robbins ’21, Vitale, Kraft and Josh Galardi ’18 put the lords up 8-5 at the half. Vitale led Kenyon with five total goals during the game.

After being outscored 4-3 in the third quarter, the Lords dominated the last quarter of play, outscoring Oberlin 4-1 and regaining their comfortable lead en route to a 15-10 victory.

While the Yeomen topped the Lords in face offs, winning 17 compared to Kenyon’s 11, the biggest difference in the game was the Lords’ ability to create turnovers. While only giving the ball away 12 times, the Lords forced 20 Oberlin turnovers, including seven in the final quarter.

Kenyon has two more in-conference games this season as they try to make their way into the NCAC tournament. The Lords will face Denison University on April 18 and Hiram College on April 21.