Lords golf enters playoffs ranked No. 19 in coaches poll

Kenyon golf finished  its regular season with a third place finish at the Ohio Wesleyan University Strimer Invitational. This capped off an impressive spring season which landed the Lords the No. 19 rank in the country across Division III (D-III) schools according to GolfStat and No. 18 in the most recent Golf Coaches Association of America poll.

At the Strimer Invitational, the Lords finished one stroke behind second-place finisher Ohio Wesleyan and 17 shots back from No. 16 and first-place finisher Wittenberg University.

While the weather stayed immaculate for the invitational, the condition of the course left the players wanting more. “The greens are known for their aeration marks,” Sadiq Jiwa ’18 said. “You could have a three-foot putt that was straight forward and it could hit one of the aeration marks before the hole and move 45 degrees in any direction.”

On the par 71, 6,876-yard Oakhaven Golf Club course, Ryan Muthiora ’18 led the Lords with an impressive -1, 70 in round one and +3, 74 in the second. An overall score of 144 put Muthiora third on the individual leaderboard.

The third-place finish for the Lords was fueled by a series of mid-table finishes from Jiwa, Robert Williams ’19, Lawrence Courtney ’21 and Eric Lifson ’21.

Williams, who tied for 15th individually, finished round with a seven over par 78, and improved by three strokes on the second day to finish with an overall +11, 153.

Courtney and Jiwa both tied for 20th on the individual leaderboard by each shooting a +12, 154 in the tournament. Courtney showed consistency over both days, with a 77 on both Saturday and Sunday. Jiwa, after shooting a 79 in round one, picked up his day two scoring with a +4, 75.

Lifson rounded out the Lords’ scoring with a 22nd place finish individually after a +13, 155 tournament. After shooting a Kenyon-second +3, 74 on day one, he finished the tournament with a +10, 81 on day two.

Patrick Kawakami ’20 and Andrew Kotler ’21 also traveled with the team to compete individually, finishing with a final scorecard of +23, 165 and +24, 166, respectively.

“It stings. No doubt, to lose to Ohio Wesleyan by one shot,” Jiwa said. “We were down to them after the first day and definitely battled back but came up just short. This is a great wake-up call for us that conferences is going to be a dog fight.”

The Lords will play in the North Coast Athletic Conference tournament this weekend, between April 27 and 29.

“Our goal is to win conferences and make the national championships and last weekend showed us that we all have to be playing our best golf to achieve that goal,” Jiwa said.