Lords baseball suffers setback in late-season playoff push

Lords baseball had a strong start to its weekend games, beating the Wittenberg University Tigers 9-4 in game one of their doubleheader but dropping game two 16-0, but struggled against Denison losing both games. The first loss coming on Wednesday by a score of 5-3, and again on Sunday 6-2.

In the first game against Wittenberg, the Tigers got on the board first, scoring a run in the top of the first inning on a bases-loaded single. Starter Will Allen ’20 was able to hold them to just that run in the first. He continued to pitch three more innings and left the game having allowed five hits and four walks but only one earned run. The Lords tied up the game in the third on a single from Mikey Arman ’18 that scored Joaquin Murrieta ’20.

Matt von Roemer ’18 had one hit and 3 RBIs in the Lords’ 9-4 win over Wittenberg.

The Lords were able to jump out in front during the sixth. Paul Siciliano ’20 led off the inning with a single. Arman followed Siciliano with a walk, and a batter later, Matt von Roemer ’18 sent a single down the left field line that scored Siciliano. The Lords kept the bats going as Alex Gow ’21 singled, scoring Arman. Pat O’Leary ’20 followed with a double, plating von Roemer. Kenyon put the game out of reach two more runs in the seventh to push the score to 8-1. Arman finished the day with two hits and three RBIs.

“Getting into good [pitch] counts allows me to elevate as the baseball looks like a beach ball,” Arman, the Lords’ leader in batting average and slugging percentage, said.

A slew of walks caused some trouble for Kenyon in the top of the ninth, but after allowing three runs, the Lords were able to secure the 9-4 victory.

Two six-run innings contributed to the Tigers’ 16-run outburst in game two. That scoring onslaught for Wittenberg, combined with Tigers starter Jace Barga’s complete game shutout, proved too much for the Lords as they dropped the game 16-0.

Kenyon matched up with Denison last Wednesday for game one of their two-game series. The Big Red scored one run in the first inning and added three more in the fourth. The Lords got one in both the fourth and the fifth, bringing the score to 4-2. Denison scored one in the seventh, and although the Lords scored one run in the ninth, they were unable to put a rally together and come back. The final score of the game was 5-3.

Game two of the series, played on Sunday, began when the Big Red scored a run in the first. They tacked on another run in the second on a sacrifice fly. Kenyon was able to get on the board in the third after Siciliano led off the inning with a walk and was later driven in by Gow. The 2-1 difference was as close as the Lords would make it however, as the Big Red added two more runs in both the fifth and the seventh.

The Lords, now 11-14 overall and 5-6 in the North Coast Athletic Conference (NCAC), look to this weekend’s games to bolster their conference record. Despite just one win this past weekend, the Lords are still in the playoff hunt. “If we can keep growing as a team and play winning baseball throughout the next seven games, we will be in a good position,” Arman said. “We control our destiny from here on out.”

The Lords celebrate their senior day on Saturday with a doubleheader against Oberlin College at McCloskey Field, and on Sunday, they travel to Hiram, Ohio, to play Hiram College.