Ladies Suffer First Loss but Salvage the Weekend

The Ladies tennis team suffered their first loss of the season when they traveled to Madison, Wis. this past weekend to face off against three tough opponents: University of Wisconsin (UW)-Whitewater, Washington University in St. Louis (Wash U) and Gustavus Adolphus College. The Ladies came out of the Midwest Invitational with two wins against UW-Whitewater and Gustavus Adolphus College, but picked up their first loss against Washington University.  

The Ladies were ranked No. 22 in the Intercollegiate Tennis Association (ITA) poll going into their first match against UW-Whitewater. It was one of the toughest matchups of the year for the Ladies, and they were able to eke out a win with the final score of five to four. After having lost the first doubles match, Grace Winslow ’18 and Maggie Sweeney ’19 gave the Ladies their first win of the match after rallying from a deficit of 4-0 to come back and win 8-6. Then first-year team of Ceylan Can and Ilana Blackwood took the lead for the Ladies, as they were able to win five straight points to beat their opponents 8-5.

The Warhawks shocked the Ladies by winning the first four singles matches to take a 4-3 lead, but Erika Oku ’21 came to the rescue and won her match by a score of 6-4. Annie Reiner ’19 won her match in three sets, Winslow came in for the knockout punch. She was able to secure an intense and tight victory for the Ladies after winning seven of the last eight points to narrowly edge out her opponent.

Against the Wash U Bears, the Ladies suffered their first loss of the season by a score of 6-3. For the first time this season, the Ladies did not win the doubles portion of the match, but Diana Aboubakare ’18 got the Ladies on the board after her 6-4, 6-1 win. Kenyon almost put together an impressive rally to pull even at 3-3, but after a couple of three-set wins the Ladies were down 5-1, solidifying the Ladies’ first loss of the season.  

The final matchup in the invitational for Kenyon was against Gustavus Adolphus College Golden Gusties. The Ladies won 7-2, and were never in any real trouble of dropping the match. The Ladies won all three doubles matchups and four of the six singles matchups.

Winslow finished her strong weekend by following with a 6-0 and 6-1 win in the fifth spot. Aboubakare bounced back quickly after suffering a rare loss in her singles match against Wash U, and Oku improved her impressive singles record to 15-0 this year.

After this weekend, the Ladies improved their record to 14-1 on the season.  Despite their single loss, the Ladies have already surpassed their win total from last season (13). Kenyon will have another tough weekend as the Ladies face North Coast Athletic Conference opponent Oberlin College on Saturday. Then they will face up against the No. 9 Carnegie Mellon Scotties in a much-anticipated matchup.