Ladies push for one of four spots in NCAC tournament

The Ladies had a mixed week in their pursuit of a spot in the North Coast Athletic Conference (NCAC) tournament, collecting a win against the Wittenberg University Tigers before dropping a match against Allegheny University.

The Ladies’ 18-8 victory against the Tigers on Saturday was their ninth of the season and their third in conference play. The Ladies had a fast start when Avery Morgan ’20 scored the first of her four goals in the opening 25 seconds of the game. Morgan was one of three Ladies to record hat tricks in the game. Cassie Hudson-Heck ’19 also scored four, completing her hat trick in the first half in only two minutes. While Charley Myers ’18 recorded her first career hat trick and finished with a total of three goals. The Ladies went on to score 11 more goals in the first half to end up with 12-2 advantage.

The Ladies had a more sluggish start in the second half, as Wittenberg scored two goals in the first two minutes, but the Ladies recovered to score five consecutive goals and seal their victory.

Tuesday’s game against Allegheny was challenging for the Ladies. The Gators defeated Kenyon 15-8 to leapfrog them in the standings. While the Ladies entered Tuesday’s game third in the conference with a 3-2 record, their loss to the Gators evened their NCAC record and dropped them to fifth and out of a tournament-qualifying spot.

In the loss, Hudson-Heck matched her own impressive Saturday performance by scoring four more goals, tying a career high for the junior. However, her career-best goal total was not enough to slow down a red-hot Gators team. The Gators’ victory over the Ladies was their fourth win in their last five conference games.

“The game at Allegheny was tough, but I know we will bounce back on our feet,” Alexis Redford Maung-Maung ’19 said following the game on Tuesday. “We’ve been working hard to fix our problems and I think that will be evident in our game on Saturday.”

With just two more games remaining in the regular season, the Ladies are on the outside looking in when it comes to the NCAC standings, as only the top four teams make the postseason cut. The Ladies will have to win both of their final two games against Oberlin College and DePauw University to control their postseason destiny. DePauw is just 1-4, which ranks eighth in the standings, but Oberlin will be a much tougher matchup. The Yeowomen are 5-0, tied for the top spot in the conference.

If the Ladies do win out, they will almost certainly do so on the backs of their solid defense. The Ladies have had a very strong season on that end of the field, as they rank second-best in goals allowed per game in the NCAC with an average of 9.4. Ladies goalie Allie Dumas ’18 also ranks second in save percentage, stopping 47 percent of the shots that come her way.

The Ladies will look to extend their season on Saturday afternoon, when they will travel to Oberlin to take on the Yeowomen.