Ladies lacrosse extends winning streak to seven

The Kenyon women’s lacrosse team earned their seventh straight win this past Saturday, conquering the Ohio Wesleyan UniversityBattling Bishops 18-7.

With a current record of 8-2, the Ladies have already surpassed their win total from last season, when they went 7-9 overall, finishing seventh in the North Coast Athletic Conference (NCAC) standings.

Cassie Hudson-Heck ’19 snagged Kenyon’s first two goals and finished with a four-goal, three-assist performance. Avery Morgan ’20 racked up the most goals with a total of seven, with six of them unassisted. Julia Mahoney ’21 also contributed in the win with 3 goals and Alexis Redford-Muang-Muang ’19 finished with another single goal.

After the win, the Ladies find themselves on top of many statistical categories among NCAC teams. The Ladies are ranked first in goals per game with 17.5. This is more than a goal ahead of the College of Wooster, which stands in second with 16 goals per game. Kenyon is also second best in shot conversion, as they have scored on over 50 (50.9) percent of their shots. The Ladies are tied for first with Wooster in total team assists per game, averaging 6.5.

Defensively, the Ladies have been the cream of the crop thus far as they rank second best in goals allowed per game with 9.4. The Ladies also ranks second in save percentage, touting a .466, just a few points behind Oberlin College’s .497.

Hopefully continuing their powerful season, the Ladies will play one of the tougher conference opponents of the year, the Denison University Big Red at Kenyon’s Mavec Field this coming Saturday, April 7.

“This game is going to be a fun yet important one,” Annie Hesse ’20 said. “A number of women’s lacrosse alums are returning to town to see us play our biggest rival, and I plan for us to put up a fight.”