Golf earns first place in snowy Pennsylvania

With a snowstorm bearing down on the Kenyon golf team at the Hershey Cup, the Lords managed four top 10 individual finishes and a first-place team finish as they scored an overall +15, 299. The tournament was cut short by the early spring snowfall, which blanketed the course. With the win, the Lords are now ranked 20th across Division III schools, according to Golfstat.

“This was a particularly difficult golf course in the sense that not only were we battling the conditions of sideways rain and gusting winds at times, but also multiple elevation changes and extremely undulating greens,” Sadiq Jiwa ’18 said.

On the difficult par-71, 6,551-yard course, Ryan Muthiora ’18 led the Lords, shooting an even 71 in the tournament. Muthiora was the definition of consistency, shooting par on 16 of the 18 holes, while collecting only one bogey on 11 coupled with a birdie on 12. Muthiora finished first in the individual leaderboard.

Lawrence Courtney ’21, Robert Williams ’19 and Jiwa all tied for ninth individually with a +5, 76.

“We made a game plan prioritizing hitting the golf ball below the hole on our approach shots and lagging the ball to within a foot on our putts,” Jiwa said. “We decided that the team that hit the most greens in regulation and had the least amount of 3-5 foot tester putts would win the tournament.”

Courtney continued his phenomenal spring play with a solid round at the cup, hitting the ground running with a birdie on the first hole. He finished the front nine +3 with two bogeys and one double bogey. In the back nine, Courtney tallied five bogeys and three birdies to end at +5 on the day.

After finishing the front nine even, coupling two bogeys with two birdies, Williams finished the back nine with a birdie, four bogeys and one double bogey to finish +5.

Jiwa, like Muthiora, started on the right foot, birdieing the first hole of the tournament. In the front nine, he would hit four bogeys and an additional birdie to finish +2 at the turn. On the back nine, Jiwa hit five straight pars but bogeyed three of the last four to end the day +5.

Andrew Kotler ’21 also scored for the Lords, shooting a +7, 78 on the day to place him tied for 24th individually.

As a team, the Lords finished in the top two in scoring for par-3, par-4 and par-5 holes. The Lords averaged a tournament leading score of 3.35 (+7), 4.95 (-1) on all par-3 and par-5 holes on the course. Their performance on par-5 holes separated them from the field of 15 teams, as the Lords average score of -1 was two strokes better than the next best team. On par-4 holes, the Lords averaged a score 4.29 (+16).

While the Lords finished middle of the pack in total pars with 48, they led the tournament in birdies with 11. The next best team, Gettysburg College, finished with eight.

The Lords have just one more tournament before the conference finals, the Strimer Memorial tournament hosted by Ohio Wesleyan University at the Oakhaven Golf Club during the April 21 weekend.

“We have a couple weeks off to really fine tune our games,” Jiwa said. “We just have to keep pushing each other to score better coming down the stretch and be mentally and physically ready to give it all at conferences.”