Lords golf ranks in top 25 across D-III schools

After a third-place finish at the Members Invitational (Hilton Head, S.C.), a second-place finish at the Taylormade Intercollegiate (Dataw Island, S.C.) and a seventh-place finish at the Jekyll Island Invitational (Jekyll Island, Ga.) the Kenyon Golf team has cracked the Golfstat top 25 Division III (D-III) rankings.

The Lords started their spring season on the par 72 course at the Members Invitational finishing seven shots behind Wittenberg University and 15 shots behind South Carolina Beaufort University. In the invitational, Lawrence Courtney ’21 led the team, and tied for fourth individually with a +4, 76 on the day. Ryan Muthiora ’18 tied for ninth with a +6, 78.

Just three days later, the Lords finished only one stroke off first place in the three-round Taylormade Intercollegiate held at the 6738 yard, par-72 Cotton Dike Course. There were 14 teams that took part in this tournament.

Courtney continued his excellent form, leading Kenyon once again with a +9, 225 overall. Courtney finished tied for second individually in the tournament. Andrew Kotler ’21 and Eric Lifson ’21 each finished in a four-way tie for eighth place, shooting a +17, 233.

At Jekyll Island, the Lords held off 14 top 25 D-III teams en route to a seventh-place finish. Among other top 25 teams, the Lords finished above No. 1 Texas at Tyler University, No. 3 Illinois Wesleyan University and No. 9 Oglethorpe University.

Courtney finished the three-round tournament with an impressive -8, 208 overall score, good enough for another second-place individual finish. Muthiora earned a top-five individual finish with a -5, 211 overall score.

The Lords’ overall score of +16, 880 was just two shots off sixth place and only eighth shots off fourth place.

“The key is to keep up the competitive nature within the team,” Sadiq Jiwa ’18 said. “That means not only just working in the lab to improve the different components of our games, but also push each other on the golf course to score and perform better.”

The Lords hope to continue their momentum in Hershey, Pa. this weekend at The Hershey Cup two-round tournament.