Lords get out to early lead, never look back in home opener victory

The Lords lacrosse team (2-1) came out swinging early in their home opener against Capital University (0-1). Early goals by Matt Pollack ’21, Jonah Florence ’18 and Pierce Kraft ’18 propelled Kenyon to a 3-0 lead just six minutes into the first quarter.

Capital tried to rally, scoring their first goal of the season less than a minute after Kenyon’s run, but the Lords quickly responded with a goal by Joe Woody ’19 to stay ahead 4-1 after the first quarter. The Lords extended their lead to 6-1 early in the second quarter with a pair of goals from Nick Vitale ’19 and Florence.

Capital’s scoring production relied on senior Teddy Crites. In the span of eight minutes, Crites racked up three goals, two of which were unassisted. Another Crusader goal was enough to tighten the score to 7-5 going into the half. The Lords fought to regain their lead with a goal by Kraft to start the half. Crites answered with an unassisted goal three minutes later. The score remained 8-6 for the majority of the third quarter until Kenyon finally broke through with a three-score run at the conclusion of the quarter. One of these came from Josh Galardi ’18 in a man-up situation, while the other two were scored by Florence.

The Lords entered the final quarter with an 11-6 lead, but the game was far from over. The Crusaders countered the Lords’ third-quarter run with one of their own, scoring four unanswered goals to cut Kenyon’s lead to one point, with 7:23 remaining on the clock. As their lead evaporated, the Lords picked up the intensity. An unassisted goal by Vitale, occurring within thirty seconds of Capital’s last score, helped Kenyon regain the momentum. The Lords added two more goals, by Kraft and Sam Humphrey ’20, cementing their victory with a final score of 14-11.

Woody explained that the Lords’ win was a needed morale boost. “It was a good team win that we really needed,” he said. “It got pretty tight in the fourth quarter, but we rallied to get an essential win. It was also a great way to bounce back from Tuesday’s loss.” 

The Lords are looking for vengeance in their next match, this Saturday at home against the Albion College Britons. “After an overtime loss last year to Albion, we’re coming into this game hungry,” Woody said. “And not looking over it.”