Ladies tennis continues impressive start

Kenyon women’s tennis team, ranked No. 30 in the nation, buried Centre College (Ky.) this past weekend in a 9-0 win at home in the Jasper Tennis Center. In the match, the Ladies only gave up one set to the Colonels. With this win, the Ladies remained undefeated and improved to 4-0 on the season.

This is the best start for the Ladies since 2002, when the team won their first five games without giving up a match and ended the year 18-7 overall.

At the No. 1 doubles match, Diana Aboubakare ’18 and Erika Oku ’21 steamrolled the Centre College pairing of Caroline Stallings and Emily Zelichenok 8-0 to notch the Ladies’ first point. The first-year pairing of Ilana Blackwood and Ceylan Can then doubled Kenyon’s lead with a 8-1 while the No. 2 pairing of Grace Winslow ’18 and Maggie Sweeney ’19 cleaned up for the Ladies with an 8-1 win.

The Ladies continued their momentum in singles competition as Annie Reiner ’19 defeated Kenny Snow 6-1, 6-1 in the No. 4 match and improved the Ladies’ lead to a comfortable 4-0.

Sweeney then solidified the Ladies’ win with a 6-1, 6-3 win in the No. 2 match against Caroline Stallings.

The Ladies also collected wins from Oku, Blackwood, Winslow and Kayla Pukys ’21 in singles competitions, giving Kenyon a 9-0 win.

Ladies tennis has started the 2018 season well, as they are ranked No. 30 in the nation and No. 8 in the central region. Of the four matches the Ladies have played, they have swept two opponents 9-0, took down No. 23 DePauw University 8-1 and won a 5-4 nail biter against Ohio Northern University.

By set, the Ladies hold an impressive .660 winning percentage in singles competition and an even better .709 winning percentage in doubles competition.

Kenyon will travel to Lake Nona, Fla. between March 5 and 11 to take on Oglethorpe University (Ga.), Wheaton College (Ill.), Millsaps College (Miss.) and East Texas Baptist University.