Baseball goes 6-8 in the sunshine state

The Lords Baseball team kicked off their 2018 campaign over spring break in Fort Pierce, Fla. After starting the trip 0-6, and suffering a few close losses during that stretch, the Lords rebounded and won six of the final eight games, finishing the trip with a 6-8 record.

Despite the overall losing record, there were some highlights for the Lords. Matthew Contreras ’19 who went 5-5 with four RBIs in a loss against La Roche College (Pa.). That performance makes Contreras the seventh player to record five total hits in program history. The Lords also saw strong pitching performances from Rawson Scheinberg ’19, Patrick Craig ’21 and Patrick O’Leary ’20. Scheinberg pitched seven innings against Earlham College, only letting up one earned run and helping lead the Lords to a 4-2 victory. In a doubleheader against Albright College, Craig and O’Leary each started one game, pitched seven innings, gave up four hits and recorded only one earned run.

The Lords’ prospects of continuing their winning streak looked dim as they entered the top of the eighth inning down 0-8 to the University of Northwestern (Minn.). But, powered by the bats of Contreras, Mikey Arman ’18, O’Leary and Alex Hoskins ’21, who each had three hits in the game, the Lords rallied to score three runs in the eighth, seven in the ninth to win the game 10-8. At the end of the trip, Washington College (Md.) swept the Lords in a doubleheader.

After 10 days off, the Lords were slated to play two home games on Tuesday and Wednesday against Muskingum University and Bethany College. Due to rain, the game against Muskingum was canceled and the game against Bethany postponed.

The Lords next play Hiram College in a doubleheader on Saturday, March 31, at Hiram College.