Lords place 12th, Ladies fourth at Bob Shannon Invitational

Lords

This past Saturday, Feb. 3, the Kenyon men’s track team placed 12th out of 13 in the Bob Shannon Invitational at Denison University.

Colton Orr ’18 placed third in the men’s preliminary 60-meter hurdles and placed fifth in the finals, scoring four team points overall.

The Lords were far more than just a one-man wrecking crew on Saturday. Jordan Potter ’19 placed 14th in the men’s weight throw and eighth in the men’s shot put. Ifeatu Menakaya ’21 placed 25th and 19th respectively in those same events. Tanner Orr ’19 finished seventh in the long jump, while a team of Cody Bratzler ’21, Qiyam Stewart ’21, Kevin Towle ’19 and Ar’Reon Watson ’18 finished 10th in the 4×400 meter relay race. Vincent Lewis ’20 and Tommy Johnson ’20 finished in the top ten for the 5,000-meter run, placing eighth and ninth respectively. 

This upcoming weekend, the men’s track team will compete at All-Ohio, a meet to which all of the Ohio colleges send their athletes.

“The track team has a lot of qualified athletes for this weekend,” Jackson Pine ’18 said. “I’m very excited to see how the team does in this highly competitive setting.”

Ladies

For the second week in a row, Funmilayo Lawal ’19 broke the Kenyon women’s indoor track record for weight throw. Her distance of 14.33 meters earned her first place and, along with three other top marks by the Ladies, propelled Kenyon to fourth place among the 13 teams competing at Denison University’s Bob Shannon Invitational on Feb. 3. Lawal also threw for 10.59 meters in the shot put and placed sixth. Lawal’s throwing success was complemented by that of teammate Jadah Jones ’18, who earned a fifth place finish in the weight throw with a distance of 14.33 meters.

Kenyon’s jumpers also had a successful day, scoring a combined 13 points across three events. Foremost among these was Devron Martin ’18, who took first place in the triple jump with a distance of 10.59 meters. Duffy Lemire ’21 and Sutton Amthor ’21 also earned scoring placements in the high jump and pole vault.

On the track, Kenyon scored 41 points between four distance and two sprinting events. The Ladies’ distance medley relay, comprised of Rosa Rumora ’19, Caitlyn Haas ’20, Molly Hunt ’18 and Gracie Moses ’20, comfortably secured top marks with a time of 13:00.23. In the mile leg of the relay, Moses split a 5:17:94 mile without competition. This split, had it been in a standalone mile, would have given her the seventh fastest time among Division III women runners in Ohio this season. The next closest relay, St. Vincent College, was a full 23 seconds behind. Cortney Johnson ’21 brought home a first-place finish in the 3,000-meter dash with a time of 10:49.21.

Other scoring finishes in distance events came from Quinn Harrigan ’19 (19:16.98) and Maddie Frank ’18 (19:56.72), who took third and fourth in the 5,000-meter run, as well as Sophie Niekamp ’21, who placed eighth in the mile (5:43.26).

Of the sprinters, Jonah Edwards ’18 brought in five points with a fourth-place finish in the 60-meter dash (8.13) while Gillian Blackwell ’18 took fifth in the 400-meter dash (1:01.91), scoring four points.

The Ladies’ 71-point total landed them far ahead of in-conference rivals Denison and the College of Wooster. The Big Red and the Fighting Scots scored 39 and 26, respectively.

Competing at the level which they currently are has been a journey for the Ladies team.  When the current seniors were first years, the Kenyon women’s track team was undersized with a roster comprised of 34 athletes.  At the Denison meet that year, the Ladies scored only 19 points and tied for second-to-last. 

Today, the Ladies boast a 47 member team and have worked hard to improve every year.  Senior Captain Molly Hunt ‘18 said in an interview with the Collegian “I’m really proud of my teammates for the work they do, we all have different strengths, whether its running, throwing, jumping, or other field events, but we still keep that really strong team atmosphere– which is the best part of being on this team”.

The Ladies will compete in the All-Ohio Championship, hosted by Oberlin College, on Feb. 10.