Volleyball 2-1 at OWU invitational

The Kenyon Ladies volleyball team continued their hot start to the 2017 season at the Ohio Wesleyan Invitational last weekend. They finished 2-1, defeating Grove City College (Pa.) 3-2, Adrian College (Mich.) 3-1, while losing to Thomas More College (Ky.) 3-0.

On Wednesday they traveled to Ada, Ohio where they almost upset the 22nd-ranked Ohio Northern University Polar Bears 3-1.

The results over the past weekend were impressive considering the Ladies were missing their top two hitters, reigning North Coast Athletic Conference (NCAC) player of the week Mackenzie Bruzzio ’20 and Delaney Swanson ’19 due to injuries. Despite missing the tournament over the weekend, they still rank second and third respectively among the Ladies in kills.

It was up to some of the younger players to step up, and Haley Witschey ’20 and Maleah Miller ’20 did just that. The pair tied for the Ladies’ lead in kills at the tournament with 24 each.

“We all get to practice against each other in practice,” Witschey said. “Practicing against very good players allows us to improve our own game, and it definitely prepared me to step in for Mackenzie.”

Against Ohio Northern, Witschey again led the Ladies with 10 kills in the loss.

Defensively, middle blocker Schuyler Stupica ’19 had 11 blocks, a team high.

The Ladies’ first NCAC match takes place on Saturday at 1 p.m. in the Kenyon Athletic Center as they look to take their first step towards the postseason against Allegheny College.