Men’s soccer forces three shutouts, women get their first win

Men’s Soccer

Since John Carroll University handed the men’s soccer team their first defeat of the season, the Lords have rattled off two wins and one tie, outscoring their opponents three to zero. Ian McInturf ’21 earned his first three clean sheets of his Kenyon career. The most recent wins have been against Spalding University (Ky.) and Centre College at the Centre College Classic held in Danville, Ky. and ended the week with a tie against Marietta College.

The Lords dominated against Spalding, allowing only four shots, none of which were on target. On the other end of the field, Kenyon unleashed 24 shots, six on target and one that found the back of the net. The only goal of the match came in the 29th minute of the first half when Oliver Wynn ’18 found Henry Myers ’18 on a through ball, which Myers tucked into the back of the net.

Against Centre College, a team which has not defeated the Lords since 2013, the Lords’ defense carried the day again. The Lords’ defense was a wall, allowing just three shots, one on goal and two corners throughout the game. The offense also outperformed Centre’s, firing 13 shots, five of which were on frame, and forcing six corners.

The Lords scored in the 67th minute when Myers finished a cross from Collyn Carpenter ’21 to put the Lords up 1-0. Kenyon doubled up on their lead 10 minutes later when Woo Jeon ’18 drove the ball into the lower-left-hand side of the goal and put the match out of reach for Centre.

Kenyon outshot Marietta 25 to five with 12 shots on target, but none of their shots found the back of the net as the Marietta goalkeeper tallied up 12 saves in a game that went into double overtime.

Jeon is happy with the recent results so far but is confident that the team will continue to improve. “We can’t get complacent or change the level of play according to each team we play,” he said. “No matter who the opponent, we have to go out and perform to the best of our abilities, which showed in our game against Centre. And now, it’s just making sure we play like that every game.”

The Lords look to improve on their record with two home games upcoming against Thomas More College (Ky.) on Sept. 16 and Heidelberg University (Ohio) on Sept. 21.

Women’s Soccer

After starting their season 0-2, the Ladies found their first win of the season against Washington and Lee University (Va.) before a tough overtime loss to Dominican University (Ohio) and Washington and Jefferson College (Pa.).

Kenyon played patiently against Washington and Lee. In the first half, the Generals fired off six shots compared to just two for the Ladies. Despite the pressure, Kenyon defense did not break, with Jillian Countey ’20 making three saves. The game opened up in the second half as Kenyon found more chances, firing off seven shots. Still, Washington and Lee outdid them with 11 shots. The Ladies who struck first in the 62nd minute, and again three minutes later, as Samantha Hayes ’21 scored her first two goals of her Kenyon career as well as the first goal for the Ladies this season.

Kenyon defender Caroline McNeer ’21 trys to intercept a pass as the Ladies earned their first win this season against Washington and Lee.

Hayes continued her scoring streak against Dominican as she netted a hat trick, scoring in the 19th, 29th and 77th minute of the match. Entering the 78th minute of play, the Ladies found themselves leading 3-1. Dominican was not finished, netting a goal just two minutes after Hayes had scored. Two minutes later Dominican’s Alexis Hoskins knotted the game at three and pushed the match into overtime.

Three minutes into the first half of overtime Dominican won a corner kick and played the ball into the box where Josseline Williams put her body on the ball and slid it into the left side of the goal.

“It’s not a problem of effort or skill,” Countey said about the second overtime loss of the Ladies’ season. “We just have to work to stay mentally in the game.”

Kenyon struggled against Washington and Jefferson as they allowed 14 shots, four of which were on target, and a goal in each half as the ladies suffered a disappointing 2-0 loss.

Kenyon will attempt to string together some wins as their season continues this week with an away game at Thomas More College (Ky.) and a home match against John Carroll University (Ohio).