Ladies field hockey starts their season 3-0 for the first time since 2005

Kenyon field hockey’s season is off to a perfect 3-0 start as the Ladies fought past Transylvania University and Centre College with scores of 2-0 and 2-1, respectively, and breezed past rival Oberlin 7-0.

The Ladies controlled the match against Transylvania from start to finish with 23 shots, 16 of which were on goal, and 14 corners, compared to Transylvania’s two shots and one corner. It took the Ladies a mere 13 minutes to find the net as Hannah Paterakis ’19 put Kenyon up 1-0 off a corner from Katelyn Hutchinson ’18. The Ladies had 13 other scoring opportunities in the first half, but they were unable to expand their lead.

In the second half, the Ladies kept their shutout. Both Transylvania shots sailed wide of goalkeeper Sarah Speroff ’18. Kenyon doubled their lead in the 55th minute off a corner from Molly Keen ’21 when Hutchinson managed to beat the  keeper.

Speroff broke a record with her 26th shutout — she now has the most shutouts in Kenyon field hockey history, “Speroff is a fantastic player who has such a strong drive,” teammate Sammy Russell ’20 said. “Her calm and confident demeanor is what makes her a top-level player.”

The Ladies then went on to play Centre (Ky.), a team that beat them 7-1 last year, in a game that featured three first-half goals. Kenyon capitalized quickly with a goal from Lynne Cullen ’19 in the fourth minute of play and another from Zoe Chrissos ’18 just 12 minutes later. The Centre Colonels’ managed to get one back in the 31st minute, but that was all the defense would give them for the rest of the game, giving the Ladies the 2-1 victory.

Weezie Foster ’18 scored her first goal of the season and notched an assist against North Coast Athletic Conference foe Oberlin.

In the Ladies’ home opener, Kenyon took on their first North Coast Athletic Conference (NCAC) rival, Oberlin College. Five minutes into the match, Hannah Sklar ’20 deflected the ball into the net to put the Ladies up one. Two minutes later Paulina Mendez ’21 scored the first of her two goals of the game, doubling the Ladies’ lead.

In the second half, the Ladies simply overpowered the Yeowomen, putting away five more goals and notching the Ladies’ third win of the season. The Ladies shone both offensively and defensively as they outshot Oberlin 35-0, with 17 shots on net and 12 corners.

The Ladies start 3-0 for the first time since 2005 and will look to continue their winning streak this coming week with home games against Washington and Lee University (Va.) and Christopher Newport University (Va.).