Kenyon volleyball off to a strong start in 2017

The Ladies’ volleyball team traveled to Pennsylvania this weekend for the Gettysburg College Battlefield Classic. They took home a 3-1 record after defeating Marywood University 3-0, McDaniel College 3-1, and Gallaudet University 3-0, while losing to Gettysburg College 3-0.

One of the stars for the Ladies this weekend was Rachael Thorson ’18, who led the team with 67 digs, including 36 against McDaniel College. “[McDaniel’s] setter kept dumping on me,” Thorson said, “and one of the rules on our team is that no dumps hit the floor.” The senior libero averaged 5.15 digs per set, finishing fourth in that category for the 12 team tournament, and first in the North Coast Athletic Conference (NCAC).

Offensively, the Ladies’ most valuable asset this weekend was right-side hitter Mackenzie Bruzzio ’20, being the only Lady named to the All-Tournament team and leading the team with 43 kills and 50 points. “Mackenzie’s just an overall great player … and one of those people who’s just really good at leading by example,” Thorson said. With her average of 3.31 kills per set, she ranks sixth in the NCAC, along with being ranked third for her 31.5% shot percentage.

Schuyler Stupica ’19 also shone for the Ladies this weekend, with her 40.0% shot percentage vaulting her to the top of the NCAC leaderboard.  Along with this honor she currently ranks third in the conference in blocks (16.0), and second in the conference in blocks per set (1.33).

The Ladies look to improve on their fast start this weekend as they host the Kenyon College Invitational against Geneva College, Muskingum University, and Transylvania University. “We’re working really hard this week in practices and we’re just really excited to have a home game,” Thorson said. “We really feed off that energy – that fan support, well, so we’re really excited.”