Golf finishes second at the Battle of the Brook

Heading into the last round at the Battle of the Brook tournament, the Kenyon golf team raced for first place with host Ohio Wesleyan University (OWU). The Lords scored 294 in the first round and built a three-stroke lead, but OWU pushed the Lords out of first place with a score of 288.

Ryan Muthiora ’18 and Robert Williams ’19 led the team on the par 71, 6,344-yard course. Muthiora started the tournament with a 72 (+1) and held steady on the second round to finish two over par, just two shots short of the first-place individual finisher, OWU’s Will Efkeman. Williams followed Muthiora with a third-place individual finish after a 72 (+1) first round followed by a 74 (+3) on Sunday.

The Lords also counted scores from Sadiq Jiwa ’18 and Lawrence Courtney ’21. Jiwa tallied an eight over par finish following a first round 76 (+5) and a second round 74 (+3). Courtney came through for the Lords as well with a 74 (+3) in round one and a 78 (+7) in round two, as he finished ninth on the individual score sheet.

“We aren’t upset by the way we played, the difference was one player on OWU who shot a -4 on the second day,”  Jiwa said. “It’s a good stepping stone for us for the next tournament and taught us a good lesson on not relying on a four-shot lead and for all of us to keep pushing and grinding through the whole tournament.”

The Lords finished the 36-hole tournament with a 592 team score, seven shots behind OWU but 22 shots in front of the third-place finisher Kalamazoo College.

Kenyon will travel to Greencastle, Indiana to face off in the Dan Quayle Collegiate Classic on Sept. 23 and 24.