Ladies volleyball poised for third straight winning season

Coming off their first back-to-back winning seasons since the 1989 and 1990 seasons, Kenyon’s volleyball team is buzzing with excitement and fresh blood.

Not only does the team have four new first years to add depth and talent to the squad, but Kendra Mosher will also work alongside Head Coach Amanda Krampf as the Ladies’ new assistant coach. Mosher, who was a four-year starter and graduate of Mount Vernon Nazarene University, is coming off a successful stint as head coach of Cardington Lincoln High School.

“Kendra definitely brings a fresh set of eyes to the game, especially in offense and blocking. She gets along well with all of our players, new and old, and really encourages us to push ourselves,” Ashley Martens ’18 said. “She gels with our head coach and has definitely shown great scouting skills and tips to us during our first scrimmage last week.”

Just as important as the new players are the returning ones, which the Ladies have in droves. Last year, the team only graduated three seniors, and while their presence will be missed, the 14 returning players will bring invaluable experience that will be useful over the lengthy season.

The talent and productivity of those returning cannot be understated. In the 2016 season, it was these 14 players who accounted for 80 of the 107 sets played, 1,562 of the 1,574 points, and 1,237 of the 1,245 kills.

“We still have all of our starters and have gained even more talent through our four new freshmen,” Martens said. “Being able to continue playing with the returners again will help us continue improving on our current successful energy and hopefully improve on our record from last year.”

Despite the skill of the returning players, success is never guaranteed in collegiate athletics. The Ladies have a difficult road ahead of them, beginning this upcoming weekend, but Martens has confidence in the team and what the team is looking to show.

“A successful weekend would show through our offense connecting well with our setters, our defense and blocking reading our opponents and shutting them down,” she said. “Ultimately, we want to establish our team as a strong force this coming season. It’ll be a great lead into the following weekend when we host our own invitational.”

This weekend, the Ladies travel to Gettysburg, Pa. to kick off their season against Marywood University and McDaniel College on Saturday, Sept. 1. They play Gallaudet University and Gettysburg College on Sunday, Sept. 2.