Ladies track places ninth, Lords place 10th

The Lords and Ladies track teams competed in the Wooster Invitational on March 31 and April 1, with the Ladies placing ninth of 11 teams and the Lords placing 10th of 12 teams. Kenyon competed against a mixed field of in-and-out-of-conference opponents in what was their second meet of the season.

Of the 11 women’s teams at the invitational, the Kenyon Ladies placed ninth with a score of 25 points. Six of these points came from Grace Moses ’20, who took third in the 1500m dash with an impressive time of 4:57.73. Moses’ finish was followed by scoring times by Claire Naughton ’17 and Chloe Hall ’20, who placed fourth and sixth respectively in the 3000m steeplechase with times of 12:04.19 and 13:09.19. The Ladies also found success in field events, with Devron Martin ’18 taking fifth in triple jump (9.89m) and Mary Lauletta ’17 placing sixth in the long jump (4.56m). 

While the Kenyon Lords may have placed 10th of the 12 men’s teams at the meet, their collective 15 points were enough to surpass Denison University, who placed 12th. These points came entirely from field events, the best placement of which came from Tanner Orr ’19 who took third in the long jump with a distance of 6.29 meters. Colton Orr ’18 also scored by earning seventh in the pole vault (3.11 m). The rest of Lords’ points came from the javelin throw, in which Jackson Pine ’18 and Kevin Towle ’19 placed fourth and 10th respectively with distances of 40.87 and 35.54 meters.

With this meet in the rear-view mirror, the Kenyon teams are looking forward to a successful season. “We’re really excited for All-Ohio coming up — we have a lot of runners who qualified and we are looking strong going into that and conference at the end of the season,” distance runner Nikki Scheman ’18 said. “We had some setbacks with sickness and the cold weather at the Wooster meet, but we’ve been training hard and are ready to perform well coming up.”

The Lords and Ladies will be back in action this weekend at OWU’s Marv Frye Invitational in Delaware, Ohio.