Softball hopes to rebound after challenging losing streak

Ladies softball was swept in a doubleheader on Saturday afternoon in Marietta, Ohio, losing 6-0 and 5-2 to the Marietta College Pioneers. Since returning from their spring break trip on March 11, the Ladies have not won a game — the team lost their last seven games. The recent skid has dropped the team’s record to 8-14, a far cry from their 8-7 record to start the season.

On Saturday afternoon, the Ladies started Austin Whibley ’19 on the mound in the first game of the doubleheader. The Pioneers got to Whibley early, scoring a run in the first inning, but Whibley shut them down until the fifth inning, when Marietta struck again for a pair of runs to extend the lead to 3-0. A poor defense in the bottom of the sixth led to three more runs for Marietta. The Ladies, who have experienced an excellent offensive season with a combined team batting average over .300, could not get anything going with the bats in game one. The Ladies were limited to just four hits in a dominant performance from Marietta’s starting pitcher Alison Kach.

The Ladies were able to improve slightly on the offensive end in game two, but were ultimately held to just two runs and were unable to get a rally going. Even their runs were scored in separate innings, as the Ladies could not string together hits. The Ladies’ runs came on a third-inning RBI single from outfielder Amanda Ogata ’19 and on a run-scoring double from third baseman Madi Maldonado ’18 in the fifth inning.

Despite their recent slump, the Ladies are not getting down on themselves and know what they need to improve. “There have been many occasions where we’ve come out on top for the first few innings,” Whibley said on Wednesday. “We haven’t been able to really close the door defensively or continue to get people on base after that.”

Ultimately, despite the team’s struggles, the Ladies have not affected their chances of making the conference tournament. The Ladies do not open the North Coast Athletic Conference (NCAC) part of their schedule until Friday, when the team will travel to Oberlin, Ohio to take on Oberlin College.

The season until now has been about working out any kinks, according to Whibley. “Even though our record might not show it, we are improving each time we step on the field,” she said.

The Ladies will play Capital University in a doubleheader Thursday afternoon at 3 p.m. in Bexley, Ohio.